Importing mesh designs larger than 64m

Gromlok Landar

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4331 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hey Gang,

I'm trying to import a mesh design from 3ds Max that is 171 m long, however it seems that Second Life is reducing my mesh build to 64 m, I have spent 9 days designing, uvw unwrapping, texturing and creating the binding box for it.  Am I to say that SL has a limitation to the maximum size of 64 m as well  when importing mesh models ?

Grom

Hey Gromlok, I'm not sure if there's a hard limit for that, but I suppose it makes sense.

If you open the .dae file with a text program, you should be able to find a scale value. You could try tweaking this and seeing if that will allow you to get it bigger then 64m.

I'll let you know if I find a workaround.

The only area in the .dae file is this : <unit meter="0.025400", I doubt that increasing this amount will in any way alter the size of the design when importing to SL as it seems it would be hard coded somewhere that all designs imported are automatically reduced to 64 m size irregardless of how large the model is.

Grom

Hmm, I do know that when exporting from Maya to SL there is a serious discrepancy with the unit scale.

When exporting a weighted mesh I have to tweak this value by hand to have it import correctly.

Does it downscale it to exactly 64m?

If there is a client that supports temporary mesh upload you might want to try setting unit meter="1.0" for the heck of it to see if it effects anything.

How hard can it be to seperate the object into 3 pieces? Just select a part of the object in max and detach it...doesn't take more than I don't know, 5 seconds?

If you built 4 seperate LoD models ad a physics model it will of course take a bit longer, but by no means very long compared to the time you already put into the model.

And yes 64 meters is the limit for objects in SL, anything larger is not prohibited, but also not officially supported by LL.

So after some looking I found this page: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Mesh_Limits_test#Maximum_Import_Model_Size_Test

From page:

Import Mesh Scale Limit Test

• The scale limit is set to 64 M
  • Confirm a model cannot be imported exceeding 64 M on an axis.
  • Confirm when setting the scale in the modifiers tab in the upload model dialog, entering a scale that will exceed this 64 on an axis will automatically adjust the scale value to the maximum allowed with an axis not exceeding 64 meter

Maximum Mesh Scene Scale Limit Test

• The maximum dimensions of a mesh scene can only be 240m on a side. Larger than this will (as of viewer 3.0.0 (238864)) will frequently cause crash to desktop errors, or a notice that the mesh is larger than "256m"
  • Release notes specified this change to fix a server issue, possibly will be corrected later?
  • While the upload dialog does not specify a Z dimension, only X and Y dimensions, it does still check the Z axis for its overall length

Seems a little strange that is says the import limit is 64m but the scale limit is 240m? Have you tried scaling the scene up after import? If that doesn't work though it seems that the limit is indeed 64m, sad days. :(

• Like 1

Kwakkelde... no offense but do you 3d Design at ALL ?

Seems to me you don't since you excluded the one part of this whole design that MATTERS, the UVW Map and texturing in photoshop.  Who cares about the model design, thats the easy part, UVW Unwrapping, stitching, welding and arranging the uvw map then importing to photoshop and spending hundreds of hours texturing it properly and applying it to the 3d model then making changes to it.

Grom

Have you tried scaling the scene up after import?

Yes I have tried scaling it, it lands at 63.900 so it seems it is hard coded.  I'll scrap the design and start over with a new one, its the UVW unwrapping thats the problem, which is why if I detach my current model into 3 pieces or more to import to SL with each a separate binding box specifically for each piece, the uvw map wont work with the design anymore.

Greatly appreciated for your efforts, just another thing to remember when doing 3d models and importing to SL.

Grom

Gromlok Landar wrote:

Only for the past 10-15 years or so.

Detaching seperate faces won't affect your UV work in any way, it might affect some smoothing groups, but that's not very noticable on a 170 meter object.

detached UV.PNG

On the left a UV mapped box, on the right half of it detached, no changes to the UV layout at all.

sliced UV.PNG

If you can't simply detach certain faces, there are various modifiers and tools that keep the UV mapping intact, slice is one of them, it should work on any model, I bet including yours.

There's no reason why simply breaking a model into pieces should cause the UV map to break.  It's done all the time. 

In any case, the answer to your original question is yes, there is a size limit on objects in SL, and that limit is currently 64 meters.  If you want to make something larger than that, you have to break it into pieces.

By the way, you mentioned the unit meter in your COLLADA file is 0.0254.  That would indicate you've been working in inches, in your modeling program.  I'd suggest you change that to meters.  That way, you won't have to re-scale things after you bring them in-world.

Mora Eldritch wrote:

Hmm, I do know that when exporting from Maya to SL there is a serious discrepancy with the unit scale.

When exporting a weighted mesh I have to tweak this value by hand to have it import correctly.

What are you units set to in Maya itself, and in your COLLADA exporter?  Sounds like one or both of them is set to something other than meters.

• 3 weeks later...

Gromlok Landar wrote:

Seems to me you don't since you excluded the one part of this whole design that MATTERS, the UVW Map and texturing in photoshop.  Who cares about the model design, thats the easy part, UVW Unwrapping, stitching, welding and arranging the uvw map then importing to photoshop and spending hundreds of hours texturing it properly and applying it to the 3d model then making changes to it.

Grom

I don't know if Kwak found this comment offensive, but I did on his behalf. Your arrogance towards those offering you help reveals you as being a bit of **bleep***.  I also notice that when Kwak went to the effort of providing you with pictorial examples to help solve your problem, you didn't even apologise for your earlier disrespectful comment or even bother thanking him.

My advice to you is to give up on the 3D modeling for now and go and try building something inworld with the primitive toolset. Your education is clearly lacking in this area as you don't even know the restrictions of a basic prim. Learning the basics of building in SL will benefit you allot when it comes to optimizing, texturing and integrating your mesh into SL.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4331 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.