tip jar script

Navy1 Coba

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4215 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Oh yea great gods of scripting...I have a club that dancers sign into a tip jar, customer tips, 80% goes to the dancer, 20% to me. Standard stuff.

The issue is when someone tips the jar it says " You have paid Navy1 Coba $x", then I get a drop down saying customer paid me X dollars and I paid Dancer x dollars. It causes confusion because the customer thinks he/she has tipped me (unless they read the hover text on the jar) and the dancer gets a message that I TIPPED her (unless she reads the hover text).

What I want to try and create is a tip jar that pays the logged in dancer direct and me direct and lets all parties know where their x dollars went.

Any way to do this?

A vendor cannot split payment directly between two or more people, but that's no problem.  Any split payment vendor simply takes the payment, deposits the entire amount into its owner's account, and then immediately takes some of it right back out again (with the owner's permission, of course) to send to another designated person.  The owner is always the banker for the vendor.  That's the way your tip jar works, too. 

The confusing part is that a vendor always announces where the buyer's money was deposited first.  Linden Lab does it that way on purpose so that buyers always know exactly where their money went.  It's an anti-fraud measure. When I was dancing in SL a few years ago, I used to get distracted occasionally like your dancers and thank the club owner by mistake.  It's annoying.  SO.... what you need to do is add a nice public chat statement that says "Thank you, Bubba Smith, for your generous tip to Maybelline Johnson!"  (You could even add a private reminder message to your dancer that says "Be sure to thank Bubba.")

If you'd like a basic split-payment vendor that does almost that, see http://community.secondlife.com/t5/LSL-Library/Split-Payment-Vendor/td-p/722093 .  Go all the way to the bottom of the script and, just before the line that says llGiveMoney, add a line that says    

llSay(0,"Thank you, " + llKey2Name(id) + ", for your generous tip to " + llKey2Name(gSplitKey) + "!");

Copy that line faithfully.  Punctuation and spelling count.  Then be sure to add your dancer's UUID at the top of the script.

hi if you want the people paying to see that they have paid the dancer you could always script your key in as a split in the money event, then give a tip jar to your dancers, this way they rez their own tip jar and when paid the money goes to them then your cut is sent to you from the dancer. The person paying only sees they have paid the dancer :)

conrad Evanier wrote:

hi if you want the people paying to see that they have paid the dancer you could always script your key in as a split in the money event, then give a tip jar to your dancers, this way they rez their own tip jar and when paid the money goes to them then your cut is sent to you from the dancer. The person paying only sees they have paid the dancer
:)

I don't think I would advise you to do that. The only way to guarantee that the script will actually divide tips correctly between the club owner and the dancer is to be sure that whoever owns the tip jar gives permission to debit her account.  The club owner can be sure if she is the one who owns the tip jar. If the dancer owns it, however, there's no way the club owner can be sure that the dancer has given debit permission.  If the dancer forgets or deliberately ignores the request, she'll keep the whole tip.

>

This is easily correctable, Rolig. The script should simply disable the tip jar if the debit permission is not granted so it would not take money from anyone. It could also send an IM to a hardcoded key (club owner) in such case.So Conrad's solution would work just fine if the tip jar is scripted correctly.

Thats what i was thinking ela, you could have the perms asked in a state if not granted then it doen't work. The club owner has his or her key hard coded in a split set by them the dancer can only use it IF perms are granted its easy anoth script to write and i think a good way to do it as the person paying sees in payment the dancer, and the dancer knows they are going to pay the split so alls good :)

That's quite true, Ela.  Thanks.  I was responding to Conrad's comment regarding the tip jar script as it is written, concerned that the OP would do exactly what he recommended.  If the OP did that, there's a good chance that he'd lose money on the deal.  Naturally, rewriting the script will solve the problem.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4215 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.