Adding script to worn item?

Trin1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4230 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Is it possible to add a script to a worn item?

I have a neko tail I want to add a scrip to, it's mod, copy, no trans but when I rez it on the ground that copy becomes no mod and not editable, so can I add the script without rezzing it?

The answer is probably no but I still needed to ask.

Hi Trin1, if the object (in this case the neko tail) is copy, mod, no transfer in your inventory, but when rezzed it turns no mod, it sounds like there might be a permissions glitch going on. To answer your question, the script (like a resize script) should be "addable" to a copy, mod, no transfer item (just be careful regarding whether it needs to go into the root prim or not). Chances are that the script cannot be added while you are wearing it. If it is a copy/mod item, there's really no harm in making a copy, wearing it, and trying to add the script to see if it will work.

I'd advise that you contact the creator of the neko tail and ask for their assistance. If there is a permissions glitch, I would expect them to be thankful that you are alerting them. Otherwise, they may be able to help you so that you can enjoy your purchase!

Best of luck!

Arwen Serpente wrote:

Hi Trin1, if the object (in this case the neko tail) is copy, mod, no transfer in your inventory,
but when rezzed it turns no mod, it sounds like there might be a permissions glitch going on.
To answer your question, the script (like a resize script) should be "addable" to a copy, mod, no transfer item (just be careful regarding whether it needs to go into the root prim or not). Chances are that the script cannot be added while you are wearing it. If it is a copy/mod item, there's really no harm in making a copy, wearing it, and trying to add the script to see if it will work.

I'd advise that you contact the creator of the neko tail and ask for their assistance. If there is a permissions glitch, I would expect them to be thankful that you are alerting them. Otherwise, they may be able to help you so that you can enjoy your purchase!

Best of luck!

"but when rezzed it turns no mod, it sounds like there might be a permissions glitch going on."

This phenomena is technically not really a "glitch" but expected behavior.  It is referred to as "Slam Bits" in the Wiki.  Sometimes creators do this intentionally but most of the time it is done by people who don't understand how the effect works.

See here, under the sub heading, "Slam Bits:"  http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Debug_Permissions

Arwen Serpente wrote:

Thanks Perrie
:)

I do know about "slam bit". In this case, it appeared to me that the question was more about whether the script could be added to a prim while worn, so I didn't go into the specifics of what might be happening with the permissions.

Cool. 

If it is Mod in inventory, then they should be able to add scripts while it is worn.

I've added show/hide (visible/invisible) scripts to attachments that had slam bits that responded to chat commands so I wouldn't have to mess with accessing a hud, as well as other tweaks I desired.

Perrie Juran wrote:Cool. 

If it is Mod in inventory, then they should be able to add scripts while it is worn.

I've added show/hide (visible/invisible) scripts to attachments that had slam bits that responded to chat commands so I wouldn't have to mess with accessing a hud, as well as other tweaks I desired.

I didn't know that, Perrie, so thank you! Some resize scripts need to be "distributed" in a rezzed object, then taken back into inventory, then rezzed again and "set scripts to running" (or a variation of that process), so that's why I thought perhaps if this was about resizing that it might not be possible.

Arwen Serpente wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:Cool. 

I didn't know that, Perrie, so thank you! Some resize scripts need to be "distributed" in a rezzed object, then taken back into inventory, then rezzed again and "set scripts to running" (or a variation of that process), so that's why I thought perhaps if this was about resizing that it might not be possible.

You can add not only scripts but gestures, textures, sounds, animations, notecards &  landmarks.  There might be other things.

My understanding in a multi-prim object is what ever you choose to add goes by default to the root prim unless you select a specific prim.  I don't know any thing about resize scripts or enough about scripts in general to state whether there are any limits to this.

I'm guessing there may be something else going on here. Permissions on attachments are strange things. While worn, it won't allow you to add anything if the attachment contains permission-restricted stuff, despite the worn item itself being modifiable. That's why we're forever detaching full-perm AO HUDs and rezzing them on the ground to add animations. (I don't understand the advantage to this behavior.)

It may be that the item in this case is not actually no-mod when rezzed on the ground, but has that half-greyed-out Mod checkbox that comes from having no-mod content. 

(There may be some slam-bit stuff, too, although... honestly, I'm not sure how that logic works with attachments. I thought rezzed meant rezzed, including if the object was rezzed by attaching it, but the slam bit behavior takes me by surprise more often than not.)

I'm no expert when it comes to permissions but in my experience it not only depends on the permissions of the object you are trying to modify but also the permissions of the resource you are trying to add to the object. In some cases (in my experience) dragging a resource from a rezzed box to either an attachment or another object with restricted permissions will be unsuccessful.

In the case of the Intan Dance Ball and a separately purchased "Intan Ready" animation. The instructions say to just drag the box's contents to the dance ball - but that doesn't work! In this case that operation would place a COPY of the animations into the ball and leave the original still in the box (and in your inventory), but the animations are protected with No Copy.

In order to add these copy protected resources you MUST unpack the box to your inventory. This removes any no copy resource from the box and palaces it in your inventory. Now you can drag the animations to the ball but you will notice that they are removed from your inventory when you do. This behavior prevents you from taking your purchased animations and adding them every dance ball across the grid.

It wasn't stated just how this script was being added to the tail but I would make sure the script was coming out of your inventory - not a box if that is the case, and I would go so far as to suggest that you select the tail while it is on your AV, right click it and select edit; check "edit linked"; find the root prim (if more than one prim); open the "contents" tab and drag your script directly into the contents listing.

If you are waring the tail at the time, you do not need to save the tail (now with the script) It automatically becomes part of the object as an AV attachment. If you rezz the tail on the ground to add the script REMEMBER to save it - you will have two tails; one with the script and one without. If the script does not have copy permissions and you mess up, be sure to drag it back to your inventory before deleting anything or you will lose the script.

This may not be the answer to your problem, but my main point is there are many ways to get a resource into an object's inventory. If one method doesn't work, try other ways.

By-the-way; this method of draging resources directly from inventory to object contents tab (in build or edit mode) is a way to modify something on land that does not allow rezzing - as long as it is attached to your AV, you can edit it. You can also add resources to a HUD this same way - you can always edit a hud while waring it (if the HUD permissions allow) but you MUST be in build mode first.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4230 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.