virus fix

Mesha Sorex

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4271 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I thought I was accepting a Midnight Mania item when I opened an object called 

Gestures & Walkers (Freebies).  Seems it's actually some sort of spamming virus.  this message is repeatedly posted in the chat box - Second Life: Chat: Blocked newline flood from e562ab42-9eb6-4095-8d57-77aafcf0ae7d.  I

I need help with the fix.

Thanks

• Like 1

11 answers to this question

Hehehe... It's not a virus.  Just a script that won't shut up.  It was either intended as a joke or, more likely, was written by someone who doesn't know how to stop a timer. All you have to do is delete the item.  If you are wearing it, detach it.  If you are having trouble finding it, use a beacon (CTRL + Shift + Alt + N or World >>> Show More >> Beacons) to highlight scripted objects around you.  If you really can't find it, just mute it.  It will continue to annoy visitoprs, but at least you won't hear it any more. 

• Like 1

Well, if you haven't been able to locate it with a Beacon, you can try a couple of alternatives. First, find one of the spam messages in your chat window and right click on the name of the sending object. Select "Show Object Information". The little window that opens will tell you exactly where the object is. Go to that spot and delete it. As another alternative, if you are using Firestorm, you can use World >> Area Search to look for the object by name. Double click on it in the list that's generated. That will create a beacon that highlights the object. Again, go there and delete it.

BTW, if you need to add information or make a reply to your post, click on the Options link in its upper right corner and select EDIT.

Hallo again, Mesha.

Sorry I was not able to give you much help while I was in world earlier.  My viewer was struggling somewhat, it seemed a little too laggy for me there.

However, back to your problem.  I could not see anything at all spamming in open chat, which suggests this thing is somehow attached to you.  Now you said something about a gestures & walkers freebie.  Also you mentioned a problem with things looking red to you.

You need to take yourself to an empty sim - please teleport to Robinson or Itress or Quarrel. These are just empty waterland sims that are owned by Governor Linden, where there is absolutely no lag or anything likely to clash with you.

Please remove all your attachments.  I am afraid I would be very drastic if it were me and would go into the Advanced Menu, carry out a full Character Test<Test Female to take my avatar back to it's 'factory setting'.  At this point you should find that nothing at all will be spamming you. 

Then you just need to add your normal shape, skin, hair, clothing, HUDs as normal.  And hopefully nothing will be spamming you.

Regarding the issue with things looking red, I suggested it was because you might have still got everything highlighted with "ctrl" "alt" "t", and passed you a photo, but you said it was not that.  Can you please upload a photo of what you do see, to this thread.  (See that little icon at the top of the text box here - looks like a little tree? - click on that button to upload a photo that you will have saved to your hard drive from inworld.).

Please give us regular updates until one of us has found a cure/cures for you, Mesha.

It was lovely to meet you inworld. Your avatar looked great by the way (redheads rule :matte-motes-big-grin: - my main avatar and RL me are redheads).

Adding yet another post here, rather than editing my old post, so you won't miss the addition...

You said things are showing up as red on your screen, but you also told me you're using Firestorm viewer.  Is it the latest version that you have just downloaded?  If so, this suggests you may also need to update your graphics card drivers too.

More Information - Land owner where I opened the object found and removed it.

I have found a work around for my problems ... Spamming and graphics.

I installed the phoenix viewer and everything works fine in Phoenix as well as SL viewer.

I usually log into firestorm by navigating to the application. (no shortcut on my desk top) If I navigate to and log in via the shortcut, the problem is not present.

I don't know if this gives insight into the cause of the problem but I'll log in via the shortcut until I know how to fix the problem.

I did conduct the character test

In addition to the other great answers...

If you have detached everything, and you are still getting the spam text, it is probably a gesture.  Use a Filter on your inventory to find all your gestures.  The Active ones will be shown in boldface.  Find the one that's causing the spam, deactivate it, and delete it from your inventory.

unload anything to do with secondlife and viewers completly and reload a viewer . Clean Install see if that helps you but also trash the item first and empty trash. wouldnt hurt to in lui of all this to clean pc as well. If it doesnt fix it. I would definatly report it to Lindends or the Viewer creators to see if they can help you .

Hi Sorry for Hijacking your thread but I have the same problem, along with  Second Life: Can't rez object 'Object' at     on parcel  in region  because the parcel is too full. I deleted the Gestures and Walkers as soon as the spamming started and followed the advice given and am back to factory avi. The chat message is gone but I'm still be spammed with the can't rez. And Nobody can open anything. Thanks for the help

Don't worry about "hikacking". This is an ancient thread, long since dead, so nobody is watching it any more. You really ought to just start a new one with your own question. I can probably save you the trouble, though. You seem to have run into a version of the ExDepart spoofing spammer. It's a nasty griefing object, but you can beat it, probably with the help of your sim owner or manager. See here >>> http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/exdepart

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4271 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.