Preloader for particles

Luca Coeur

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4241 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

is there a way to preload the images used in particles?

I tried using a bogus particlesystem (as invisible as possible) for preloading

• using scaled down particles (PSYS_PART_START_SCALE set to 0.01, same for the STOP),
  • using transparent particles (PSYS_PART_START_ALPHA = 0, STOP = 0.01)
  • using a small radius (PSYS_SRC_BURST_RADIUS - so they aren't that obvious)

All those seem to have no effect on the visibility of the texture and will create clientside lag :-(

When I have a prim textured with the same images in the field of view the particles are visible well from the beginning. I tried to avoid that prim though...

I've been able to "preload" particles by setting start and end alpha to zero during the first call to llParticleSystem, waiting a few seconds, then calling it again with start and end alpha where I want them. If the viewer thinks your particles are too small to see, it won't load the textures, so that might be your problem. Fortunately, the particle system doesn't seem to do the same for start and end alpha = 0.

Make your particles large enough to see, with start and end alpha = 0.

Also--probably not the problem here, but maybe--the size of the particle emitter determines the range over which its particles are visible. If the emitting prim is so small that it doesn't rez at the viewing distance, then the particles won't either, even if they're much larger. I'd guess that the particle textures aren't downloaded, either, in that case.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4241 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.