Oh Dear

Robert703 Trafalgar

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4232 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have had a gaming PC for two years.  So thought I would check out second life again after playing World of Warcraft.

Thoroughly disappointed.  Still as slow as ever if not worse.  I have an MSC in Computer Science and I can't believe its still bad at loading regions.

Unless LL do something to sort this out I suspect that in a couple of years time Second Life will be no more.

That prediction of SL being "no more" has been floating around for 7 years that I'm aware of.........it's still here.  On the disappointment you are experiencing about performance on SL compared to performance on WoW.....there is a world (pun intended) of difference in how the content of the two are delivered to your computer.  On one (WoW) the entire world is housed on your hard drive.  On the other (SL) the entire world is housed on remote servers.  Your computer degree should tell why that makes a huge difference..........go back to your study notes and I think you might come up with some answers.

I complain often enough about LL and SL problems, but here's the thing, if I actually knew how to fix them, I would be off starting a new company and doing just that.  The free market dictates that if it can actually be done better, someone will, and they will make a handsome profit doing so.

(Yes, yes, regulation breaks the free market in oh so many ways, but SL is small and niche enough that a viable competing platform could emerge if in fact someone genuinely figures out how to do it better at comparable cost.)

If you are convinced it can be done better, do it.  Make yourself a small fortune.  GIve me a viable alternative to SL and I will migrate. 

"...

If you are convinced it can be done better, do it.  Make yourself a small fortune.  GIve me a viable alternative to SL and I will migrate."

----------------------------------------

Could not have been stated better.  :)

All those Open Sim project grids and not a single one has improved upon what LL created......and they had a head start with the reverse engineered grid software.  Something for all these computer genius's to think about. 

*strange how they never do though* :)

Greetings, Robert703

What a jolly shame, although I don't really know what relevance having a computer in any computer science has to do with anything.  I could have a qualification in making handbags, and it wouldn't necessarily mean I'd be able to fit all my stuff into all of them :matte-motes-big-grin-wink:

Anyway, it isn't really something that LL has to sort out.  Second Life works as well as it's going to do in this moment, with regular deploys on Tuesdays (see Oskar Linden's threads for updates, and also Grid Status which can be accessed from your dashboard). 

The thing is, the performance of Second Life is dependent on many things.  For example, although how dare I try to teach granny to suck eggs when you have a computer qualification, I know, I know, but we all learn something new every day.  You can have a really fantastic all singing, all dancing computer, but if, for example, the internet service provider is so popular that everyone is sharing the same broadband service at the same time, or if you're wireless, performance can greatly suffer.

Also, games like World of Warcraft don't drain a graphics card in anyway the same capacity as Second Life. 

People have been saying Linden Lab will be no more in a year or so's time for many years.  It's still here, and with many new features having been introduced during this year alone. 

My own problem is that my computer only has 1GB of RAM, and a three year old mid-range graphics card, so I can't use the latest viewers with all the shadows, shading, etc. This makes me cry, but it is what it is.  Can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear and all that. 

So, my advice for you would be to perhaps post your computer specifications here, see what other very experienced Second Life residents would do to improve your performance. 

You've had this gaming PC for 2 years without upgrading any hardware? Buddy, of course you can play WoW but not other things.

Wow's graphics is from 7 years ago. This isn't about SL being bad, this is about you needing a better computer and possibly internet connection.

Try Aion online, or try Tera, or any other MMORPG out there that's not much older than 2 years and attempt to play it at high/ultra graphic settings. You will have the same problem as you have with SL.

Get a better computer, nowadays graphic cards are outdated as hell after 6 month, nevermind 2 entire years.

Also, if you really have that degree I would shoot your teacher, obviously he's not been teaching you anything useful at all.

But keep on bashing SL like the ignorant sheep you are.

Actually several of them have,or should I say not on what was created as the team I am familiar with had to rewrite the greater majority of some source in order to obtain different graphics compression ,formatting,database front ends and back ends, and continue to improve on the data base and gui and mesh handlers,the avatar rigs,bones,attachement points, etc.. of the viewer at a steady pace. One thing for many to consider is what it would take for the entities at hand to reformat the database to lose the "lag" so many refer to, especially with massive amounts of flat textures vs mapped textures used in the system. talk about inventory suddenly dissapearing and complaints about my textures are missing ...lol

This is a grand service rendered to the general population , however in this field there is always improvement to be made, it just has to be weighed against down time and loss of revenue due to connectivity issues.

It also has to be wieghed against the simple fact that Second Life (and all the clones developed with the Open Sim project) caters almost entirely to a niche group.  Immersive 3D worlds appeal to many people but even then the numbers are small compared to all the other "worlds" available on the Internet.  An immersive 3D world with dynamic, real time 3D graphics constantly being updated with new content (that new content entirely created by the users....and those user creators are for the most part amateurs) is 1000's more time complex than Facebook or the like.  All those people who think they have a better mouse trap than Linden Lab in this area have found out it just ain't so simple......they are no competiion to SL for that reason.  What's more they never will be..........not until they take the concept that LL developed and build from the ground up (and, as you implied, that just may not be economically feasible).

Do I think SL will still be here 10 years from now?  Maybe.......but, if it is still here, I do think it will be nothing like what it is today.  Do I think I will still be in SL in 10 years?  I don't know..........maybe, but SL will still have to have some of the aspects that keep me here now (like user created content, and freedom to do what I want with my land/property *within reason, of course*).  It's a complex software program that makes up SL........the complexity is something a lot of people fail to realize.  That's why I often jump into these conversations where people make simple statements of "facts" and they have no idea what those "facts" are.  Especially when those people add things that imply some level of expertise in the field (such as, "I have a degree in computer science").  If you really have that degree then you know there is more than meets the eye when it comes to complex software.........and the SL platform software certainly is complex.

I agree wholeheartedly , I would go so far as to say PHD may actually stand for Post Hole Digger."no offence meant to those of you holding the degree, I do understand ho many years and thousands of dollars are poured into obtaining those degrees building up to that nice embossed degree. However ,clones and whatnot, yeah there have been thousands upon thousands,this is why we re-wrote ,reformatted,to lose the same texture format,and pipelnes. Competition ? From what I have discovered most users of the platform are trying to obtain something which some "developer" told them was undo-able,and in fact it is quite the opposite, as we all have seen quite a remarkable evolution towards a common outcome. My personal experience is to test and develop exactly what others turn their nose up at because it lacks popularity in the community at a given time.From time to time I have  shared my findings and observations with select individuals in the community ,better than, no I wouldn't go so far on a global rating, more conducive for new implementation of commercial standard modeling and formatting,yes, and creators having the ability to test and code their own ideas into the viewers,servers,and gain a faster work-flow..yes.

10 years from now..well ,not sure if you were around in the days we could tunnel through terrain or experienced the awful "earthquakes" and prim shift in 05-08 era, but with the user contributions and ideas constantly and steadily streaming into the servers, I would go so far as to say Linden Lab..will definately be here in 10 years ,will it be the same...no...better ..always !!!!!!

After re-reading my post I must apologize to some readers...I was suffering from a recent situation where I had hired someone for the team whom claimed to have and supported the claim with the proper degree's, however he didn't know the difference between an IDE and an IED, which thats what his programming did was exactly what an IED is intended to do..........explode into useless garbage.

apology offered...

If you want to run SL at full detail I suggest a quite powerful machine. A 2 year old midrange gamer rig won't handle it. I built my machine for SL. I7 2600k @4.6 GHz, SSD, 12GB RAMand gtx 560ti and guess what... with draw distance at 192m it still struggles at about 30-45 fps at times.

There are several reasons for that. Everything in SL is streamed, content is mostly not made by professionals and therefor mostly unoptimized (texture sizes, vertex count etc) and other reasons. You have a degree, you will figure it out. ;-)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4232 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.