Problems with extreme long shots - Avis appear sped up

Ahz Blackheart

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4227 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I know we talked about this a lot inworld, but reading these comments I was wondering if it might have something to do with your capture software? I use FRAPS and have never seen this happen.  You "could" slow down the avi movement by slowing down the shot in editing (a work around). So if you cammed out faster than you actually wanted and then changed the speed to half that might "fix" the issue. You mentioned PS2 I think when we were chatting. That could have something to do with it also. Good luck on this. A puzzle. If you figure it out would be good to post the answer here on the board :D.

Actually I see this in game for avi's in the distance as well.  There is a threshold that once crossed the avi's look this way. So some in the background would look normal and others would not. The others that looked normal would not be able to move away from the camera because once they crossed that line, they would go from normal animation to 3x speed. I could just shoot without extreme longs or with avis staying in the safe zone, but this, to me, makes it feel flat.

The fact that few others see it must mean that I have tweaked a setting and screwed this up somehow.

As for using a PS3 controller I just started trying to get that to work, I'll save that discussion/question for another day... :P

Can also confirm this bug exists; I've seen it too. Running on Dolphin (latest release) with Advanced Shaders (but not lighting&shadows). Animation rate is normal for avatars in close-up, no clientside FPS lag for any other item in the scene, and isn't dependant on object updates or physics.

Affects non-imposter avatars, absolutely. I'm not using or doing anything especially fancy (no FRAPS, no overclocking, no off-screen activity). As far as I know it's been happening for a fair while, but I don't have dates for when it first started (I just thought it was funny to watch :P).

Tends to affect walking/running avatars more than 40m away or beyond (with 'default' camera positioning, i.e., behind my head), and is especially noticable when the viewing plane is angled above the target (looking down on people).

Ahz Blackheart wrote:

Found a  fix.

Preferences - Graphics - Hardware Settings - Uncheck "Enable OpenGL Vertex Buffer Objects"

Seems like this may disable the bug temporarily, but I've had it both with and without VBO running. The bug isn't related to VBO in any case (so is unlikely to be a fix) but VBO can refresh certain aspects that are within view.

After running a few more tests I've seen it appear as close as 15m away, and the issue can be reproduced in seemingly any hardware set-up. Tested using latest versions of Dolphin, Catznip and Exodus.

Steps to reproduce:-

• Disable avatar imposters.
  • Have a friend/alt fly 20-40m away. Keep your cam focussed on yourself.
  • Have them walk across your view. Walk speed will be double framerate.

Interested to hear if anyone else has noticed this also. =]

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4227 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.