Question on Creating Rugs

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4303 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

This is likely a very elementary question, but it just started bugging me lately.

So, the way I made rugs prior to sculpties was the flat prim method.  I've been seeing some really nice, realistic-looking rugs I'm assuming were made from sculpt maps.  I don't want a wrinkled look or scrunched up as some I've seen, but just something more realistic than a flat prim.

I looked through the MP, since I'm not familiar with who creates this type of sculpt, and purchased one that was fairly inexpensive but looked nice textured in the photo.  However, the rug texture I am using has a border and this sculpt rounded the corners to the point that it distorted the overall "look."  I'm not complaining about this sculpt, but basically asking:

1.  Is there a way to use regular prims for rugs and not get the "flat" look?  I tried using a slight beveled corner, but that looks odd as well.

2.  Not sure if it's against the TOS to recommend specific merchants here, but if anyone knows someone who creates nice rug sculpts, would love to know where to look.  Can IM me in world or here.

Thank you :)

Innula Zenovka wrote:

A search in the Marketplace for "rug sculpt" with copy/mod/transfer checked yields a lot of results.   Maybe some of them would be satisfactory.

Right :)  Just wanted to see if anyone had recommendations since I already purchased one sculpt via that method which didn't work for my particular texture.

Since I posted I did receive a great recommendation from a builder and look forward to trying it out. 

One factor (of many) is the type of image you are using for the texture.  For example, if the rug texture has shadows and wrinkles and so forth, the the rug will appear to have those, even though the prim is flat.  If the rug texture is evenly lighted then the rug will look flat, even on a textured sculpty.

It's surely too far down the pike to wait, but when Materials are available, it should be possible to get some rich depth effects on a single prim (or Mesh) surface. It will certainly be less laggy than a sculpt.

Depending on the desired effect, one of the currently available bumpmap options might be better than nothing, without having to resort to a sculptmap download and all the rendering complexity it entails.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4303 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.