Really confused about buying land!

djmxz

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4226 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've read alot of guides and searched for tutorials on youtube, but since english isn't my first language, I'm having problems understanding everything.

Firstly, if I buy land, do I have to pay a monthly fee or do I just pay a one-time price?

Secondly, how DO you buy land at all?

I'm really slow in understanding guides in foreign languages and haven't found any information that's clear enough for me to understand.

I just want to buy a land lot, build my house and move in!

Oh, and I do NOT want to pay a monthly fee for my land/house, so if that's the only option, then I'm not intrested anymore.

djmxz wrote:

Oh, and I do NOT want to pay a monthly fee for my land/house, so if that's the only option, then I'm not intrested anymore.

Well, if you live in a country where you can have a land and a house for free in RL, send me a personal message, I am interested and would be willing to move immediately. :D

SL is no different than RL: you want to own land, you have to pay for it.

djmxz wrote:

Well, then, your options are extremely limited. You can either get a Linden Home or buy a 512 sqm mainland parcel. The cost of a premium membership will cover one or the other.

Griffin, technically, paying that premium membership monthly is STILL paying monthly for land since the 512 is included in that cost.

Perhaps more of an explanation helps... almost all land has a repeating periodic cost associated with it because Linden Labs charges a monthly fee for "owning" land. The best explanation I've heard for why is this covers the cost of providing the hardware (servers, memory, electricity, etc) which are needed to "host" your prims, scripts, avatar, etc.

I won't get into that age old discussion of this cost being too high... it is what it is and ultimately it exists because Linden Labs operates as a for-profit business, not as a service supported to benefit it's community through the good will of others (or by a business model like many other "free" internet "services" by selling advertisement or your personal information to advertisers).

Guys, you're just confusing the poor OPmore and more. Hey djmxz, here's some facts for you to consider:

- If you are a premium member you can have EITHER a Linden Home OR a buy a 512 m² mainland parcel and pay no monthly fee (tier).

- Every bit more of land you buy will bring you onto a higher level. 1024, 2048, 4096, 8192 and so forth are the payment levels.

- You can buy land by simpoly clicking the ground and chose buy fromm the pie menu ... but I'd always prefer to go via the menu, and first check all the land info. How big is the parcel, how many prims do you get, is there a covenant on the land, can you terraform  ...

- If you aren'r a premium member you can't buy land. Full stop.

- You can however however rent land from a landlord. Often you need to "buy" the land from them first, which is a bit of a misnomer.

- Anyway, if owner or renter, you must pay your monthly fee. In that regard SL is like RL. LL want you to pay your "taxes", your landlord wants his "rent".

Orca Flotta wrote:

Guys, you're just confusing the poor OPmore and more. Hey djmxz, here's some facts for you to consider:

- If you are a premium member you can have EITHER a Linden Home OR a buy a 512 m² mainland parcel and pay no monthly fee (tier).

Lets be honest here.  Being a premium member still requires that you pay a periodic fee to be premium, so that is the same as paying tier, it is just that the tier is included in the premium fee.  If you don't pay the fee, you lose the 'free' land or home.

There is no way to buy land and never have to pay a cent again to keep it.

Purchase a Premium Membership that fits your budget, they have several price plans.

Login to Second Life.

Open the Inworld World Map.

Look for several Large Continents, that is called Mainland.

Select Show Land For Sale on the World map.

Look for the yellow rectangles, those are land plots. 

You can purchase up to 512 square meters of land, without incurring any other fees or charges, for the duration of your Membership plan. 

Right click on the ground, for the land you want to buy. A window should open to confirm your purchase, the system will inform you if the purchase you want to make, will result in an additional charge or fee.

• 2 weeks later...

Knowl has the clearest answer yet, I think.

To the OP:  All land in SL will require the payment of some sort of recurring fee.  It might be called tier, or rent, or the land (as others have noted) might be a "free" benefit of a Premium membership...which is still a form of recurring fee!

I teach a class on Second Life land, at Caledon Oxbridge University, Fridays, at 5 pm SL time.  It's free to attend, and you can learn a lot more about SL land.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4226 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.