Box in a box

chubbycdsocal

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4403 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I recently made a purchase and went to a sandbox to open and copy.

It appears that one of the items inside the box is another box. When I "wear" it appears as a box on my body.

If I try to drag the box that was inside the box, it won't drag and drop. The cursor icon indicates that I can't do it?

What am I doing wrong or am I just clueless?

TIA

I have seen this, a box in a box, but not being able to put the second box down and unpack it is strange. Some creators have scripts in the box so when you hold it “wear it” and you click on it, the script puts the items in your inventory and sends them a note that you unpacked it. I personally do not like that, one: to personal and two: the only thing it proves is that there script to send them a note works. There is no proof that the box unpacked properly. (don't care what you say)

So, wear it and click on it if you can't set it down. Other than that, I don't know.

Teagan Tobias wrote:

I have seen this, a box in a box, but not being able to put the second box down and unpack it is strange. Some creators have scripts in the box so when you hold it “wear it” and you click on it, the script puts the items in your inventory and sends them a note that you unpacked it. I personally do not like that, one: to personal and two: the only thing it proves is that there script to send them a note works. There is no proof that the box unpacked properly. (don't care what you say)

So, wear it and click on it if you can't set it down. Other than that, I don't know.

The only thing I can think of is sometimes when I unpack boxes they don't "load" correctly into my Inventory.  It will show the object as still loading in the Viewer.  In this case you may not be able to drag the box to ground.  But at least for me a simple relog always fixes it.

Other than that, I've got no idea either unless he is missing the target when he thinks he is aimed at the ground.  When there were problems with llCastRay the work around was to aim right in front of your feet.

Teagan Tobias wrote:

I think that is all they after though...just to make sure you received it. There unfortunately is a lot of people who buy trans/no copy items then tell the creator they never received the item. At a minimum those scripts tell the creator that you did receive it. And usually if you received it, and can rez the box, 99% of the time the package unpacks properly. In fact, a lot of them you just copy to inventory and there is no real scripted unpackaging...which I prefer, I hate auto unpackers.

I also do not like the auto unpack and always set the item on the ground and right click open and copy to inventory. But I will half to admit I never thought about the trans/no copy, because the only thing I buy is copy items. Years ago I thought LL was deleting my stuff, it turns out that I am an expert at deleting my own stuff. I use storage boxes for things I do not want to lose and have on many occasions had to get a copy from a storage box.

But (to OP) not being able to set something down, a TP to another SIM and back to where you are unpacking might help.

If you are trying to drag the inner box from the edit contents of the outer box, that may not work.  Rezz the first box and open it, then go to your inventory and drag the second box or other boxes to the ground and open them. 

If there is more than one box inside the first box look carefully at the label,  Usually there is a reason things are packed this way.  Sometimes when you buy things two versions are included and each version is packed in a box.  I've also seen this done when what you bought comes with other items that may come in pieces.  Such as a pair of shoes that come with an outfit.  The shoes may be in a box of their own as well as the outfit, or the box may just be in the folder with the outfits pieces. Lastly I've seen this done when you buy something that has tons of pieces you may not use all at the same time.  The inner box is intended to store all the pieces so you don't junk your inventory up.  You simply rez the box and pull out what you need and leave the rest inside.

sounds like a issue with inventory. can get a bit laggy sometimes, like the item is still trying to be found somewhere in the database somewhere on some machine somewhere in the datacenter

if you right-click on the inventory item and you get a greyed out menu then its still looking for it

+

if can right-click and the menu is not grey then yes like other people say is a rez problem. thats caused by the sim. like the sim server doesnt know about the box yet, so just have to wait for that

+

last thing you can try do is Wear the box on your hand. when you do that then the it will rez in the sim, but because is still attached to you then is less chance of it getting eaten by the gobble monsta. after you can see it on your hand then Detach (make a copy if you can) and then rez inworld. should be OK to rez on the ground after that

i kinda do this way if am having trouble with important stuff

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4403 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.