TEST Conducted and Passed for Physics in PC

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4268 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

POSTED Landmark 7-20-2012

i have conducted a physics test in OpenSim software proving it is POSSIBLE to set the Max prim link Limit of 256 prims

PHYSICAL. 

Question :

why should Linden labs have a simulator cap on this? the diversity and creativity of  better performing built vehicles

could substantially  benefit the builders community of SL.

the test showed no impact in sim performance and proved more that 32 Linked prims can be set Physical.

up to the MAX link limit .

this test was done on a private PC that is 6 yrs old with win XP software and a intel core 2 chip @ 1.8 GHz.

with 1 GB of ram.

Today's PCs are several times more powerful now and so are commercial servers.

one last Query : 

why hasn't LL increased the Link distance to match the NEW prim Size of 64 meters?

You can set a 255 linkset to physical on the main SL grid aswell, as long as you make sure the physics weight is not over 32.

Did you test it with a vehicle with a higher physics weight than 32? And did you simulate a "critical" sim, such as a racetrack, with let's say 10 of those vehicles around and colliding with the ground, walls and eachother?

I'm pretty sure the hardware used today could handle more than the 32, that number hasn't been raised in years. If I recall correctly, it used to be 28 or 29, but I could be wrong.

Anyway, part of being creative is pushing the limits. 32 should be plenty for any vehicle, whether it's a bicycle, car, boat or airplane.

That is not how it works. As I said, the physics cost can't be over 32. The LI makes no difference, as long as it isn't determined by the physics cost.

Try linking 256 boxes and set them to convex hull. You will have no problem making the linkset physical. Change 5 of those linked boxes into tori and you will get the error message "Can't enable physics for linkset with physics resource cost greater than 32".

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4268 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.