How much can you sell a sim for?

Chloris Hathor

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4249 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

It seems like people are selling their regions for much less than what it costs to purchase a region from Linden Lab. The forums seem to indicate that people are selling their full regions for around $300, yet Linden Lab charges $1000 to buy a full region. I wonder why such a difference in pricing?

First off, is the sim mainland or private island?

Now, if it's mainland, be sure if you are going to sell it that the person you sell it to has a premium account and also has the amount of tier covered to keep the sim up and running.

I don't believe there is a transfer fee involved with any ownership transfers.

I know I'm not much help, but I hope this helps out.

Warden Stillwater

Everything you need to know is here:

Transferring Private Regions

32px-KBcaution.png Important: If the buyer's payment fails for any reason, then the transfer is cancelled and no action is taken. Both Second Life accounts must be in good standing for the transfer to take place.

Linden Lab can perform Resident-to-Resident transfers of Private Regions (islands), but both buyer and seller need to agree on a price. Both buyer and seller must submit support tickets, via the Support Portal, naming the region to be transferred and the transaction amount agreed upon in either U.S. dollars (USD) or Linden dollars (L$). Both sides also have to confirm other details about the region being transferred. We can rename the Private Region and move it from its original location at the time of the transfer for no additional cost. Please include these requests in the buyer's transfer ticket.

Either party can cancel the transfer by closing out their ticket prior to the transfer being performed.

Here's how to submit a ticket:

1. Go to the Support Portal and log in with your Second Life account.
  2. Open a new support case.
  3. Under What type of problem are you having? select Land & Region.
  4. Under Land & Region, choose Initiate Region Sale or Initiate Region Purchase as appropriate.
  5. Complete the other required fields. The information must be consistent for both the buyer and seller tickets.
  6. When all the details have been entered, scroll to the bottom and click Submit.

If both tickets match (that is, they state the same details and value), we charge the buyer's Second Life account in either USD or L$, as specified in the tickets. Once the charge goes through, we credit the seller the same amount minus the transfer fee.

32px-KBnote.png Note: Buyers using PayPal need to have their PayPal agreements set to a high enough spending limit. By default PayPal limits are relatively low.

Private Region transfers usually take 5-10 business days from the time both tickets are received.

Transfer fees

There is a USD$100 (or L$28,000 for L$ transfers) transfer fee per region, debited from the seller's account, which pays for backend work by Linden Lab, including:

• Changing estate ownership settings
  • Billing transfer
  • Region name change
  • Moving the region

The Increase Credit link on your Dashboard (shown when you click the Manage link under the Linden Exchange heading on the left) can be used to add USD credit to an account.

Monthly billing

The new owner assumes the monthly billing, which is charged on the same day of the month as always. Private Regions, unlike the mainland, bill for the coming month. If the Private Region bills on the 12th of the month, it will continue to bill on the 12th of the month. This means that if the Private Region is transferred on the 14th, the current owner pays for that month. If the Private Region is transferred on the 10th, the new owner pays the fee for the month.

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Managing-Private-Regions/ta-p/700115#Section_.4

Sell it for what ever you want.. A lot of people misunderstand the sim purchase to begin with . The 1000 is a setup fee. it is not a Purchase price of owenership really. But to many it is a purchase price.....  A lot of the regions for sale for 300 could more than likely be a quick sale to offload a burden and make tier for another region they may own . But what you build of your region is re-salable. You have a right to sell it for what ever you want to offer. The trick is finding a buyer for over 500

The price being charged for full prim sims on the secondary market varies and is influenced, just like the RL real estate market by supply and demand.  Price also depends on two other things.  The date the next tier is due, as obviously if the tier is due immediately you pay less than if the tier isn't due for a few weeks, and if the transfer fee is to be paid but the buyer or seller, which is negotiable.

If you buy a private region be sue that you change the name and relocate it at the same time, as there is no additional charge when its done during the transfer process.  If you wait you will have to pay for these services separately.

Chloris Hathor wrote:

It is a private region. I'd just like to know if I could get half the money it cost me to purchase back..

I just read that they also charge the seller $100 fee. :matte-motes-dont-cry:

The resell value for a full prim estate sim has "virtually" no value. This is because there is little demand for them since the large landowners can lease a full prim sim, giving the the one who leases it full admin right, with weekly payments instead of monthly, and at tier costs. That is how bad the market presently is. The main reason for owning an esate sim is to have the right to resell it to get some return on investment, but I tell you quite frankly, for the last 3 years, the resell value for an estate sim is virtually nill.

Chloris Hathor wrote:

It seems like people are selling their regions for much less than what it costs to purchase a region from Linden Lab. The forums seem to indicate that people are selling their full regions for around $300, yet Linden Lab charges $1000 to buy a full region. I wonder why such a difference in pricing?

Good question Chloris!

First thing to understand is the value of the tier date.  That is where most of the value is when you purchase an existing sim.

When you buy a sim retail it has the first month of tier included, so your actual cost for the sim is $705 plus the $295 tier = $1000

When you buy a transfer sim you need to find out how many days of tier will come with the sim.  Each day is worth roughly $10.  So a sim that sells for $300 with 30 days tier remaining is basically free, you are just paying for the unused tier.

These days the market for sims has been a buyers market.  There are very many more sellers than buyers.  The result is if you can get anything for your sim at all, be greatful.  I see sims trading for $125 - $250 all month long.

YES the SELLER DOES PAY THE $100 TRANSFER FEE.  There is no way around that, and it is included in the price.  So if you sell your sim for $125 you end up with $25 after the transfer fee.  Might be enough for a stick of gum. ;)

Good luck!

Lizard Howl

Segarra Estates Owner

PS I have plenty of tips on buying and selling sims in my blog, you might want to take a peak.

• 3 weeks later...

JohnMiddlefield wrote:
The resell value for a full prim estate sim has "virtually" no value. This is because there is little demand for them since the large landowners can lease a full prim sim, giving the the one who leases it full admin right, with weekly payments instead of monthly, and at tier costs. That is how bad the market presently is. The main reason for owning an esate sim is to have the right to resell it to get some return on investment, but I tell you quite frankly, for the last 3 years, the resell value for an estate sim is virtually nill.

for me at least, a very good reason would be to not be subject to the randomly changing rules of the owner, not having the risk of being kicked out when they feel like letting someone else have it instead (had that rl once, and heard it happening in sl), or when they decide to cash in on their business and close shop, leaving the sims dangling.

The small financial gain by paying directly to LL rather than paying tier+a profit for the rental agency would be a nice bonus. If I could buy a homestead without buying a full sim first, I'd already have done so (full sim is over my budget).

Chloris Hathor wrote:

A friend of mine sold her estate sim recently for quite a bit less than she paid for it (I don't know the figure) and finally accepted it because she was hounded by people low-balling the price...like offering 100L. :(

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4249 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.