I have a fire that suddenly appeared in the middle of my skybox, can't edit it or return it.

Caoilte Skytower

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4303 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

A fire just appeared in my skybox, neither I or my girl put it there. It does not show up in objects when I refresh the list,.... and I can't see the source to take it or return it. I am thinking it came from a griefer, but I don't know if its possible to put out an object like a fire and not have it show up in the objects list. Any ideas?

3 answers to this question

Well, the fire must be generated by a particle script somewhere, which has to be in a prim -- possibly a very small, transparent one, but it must be there somewhere.

What I'd suggest doing is temporarily turning off particles (Advanced>Highlighting and Visibility  or Ctrl+Alt+Shift+= to toggle them) so you can see what you're doing,  and turning on Highlight Transparent (Ctrl+Alt+T).   If that doesn't make it obvious, I would go to World>Show>Beacons  (Ctrl+Alt+Shift+N) and uncheck everything but Particle Sources.   That should show you where the flames are coming from.

It may be that you've accidentally dragged a flame particle script into the floor of your skybox, or an item of furniture.  I've done that sort of thing before.   Then you need to locate the prim containing the particle script and delete it (the script, that is), but you also need to get rid of the particles themselves (particles are a prim property, like colour or texture, except they can only be turned on and off by script).  

default{    state_entry()    {        llParticleSystem([]);        llRemoveInventory(llGetScriptName());    }}

If you drop that into a prim that's emitting particles, that will turn them off and remove itself.

• Like 2

Innula's solution works.  Beacons are your friends.  I recently found a particle source that a SL resident had dropped into the prim water in his swimming pool and was emitting particles several meters overhead, apparently having nothing to do with the pool.  A quick search with beacons turned on identified the source with no trouble.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4303 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.