Question About Sim Extenders

Czari Zenovka

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4341 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I live on a mainland water sim that is bordered on two sides by protected Linden ocean.  The parcel I'm on is the corner, thus is also bordered on two sides by ocean.  I prefer to live in a skybox so I do not go down to "water level" very often; however, the estate sim that my business is on is being sold so I am moving my shop to this parcel.  I had intended on placing it on the water to have the ocean view as part of the ambiance. 

Since the last time I came down from the sky the parcel directly behind me has been purchased by a guy that has some sort of sim extension or a similar item on his land.  I discovered it when I was building a platform for my shop last night and several times when I tried to texture a side of the platform, an unknown object kept showing up in my edit window.  I couldn't figure out how I was doing that but CTRL+ALT+T illuminated the issue.  A large triangular portion of this extension overlaps into my parcel by quite a bit.  The extension makes the water on the border between our parcels a different color as well as scripted to flow like a river, which is odd seeing basically a river on an ocean...lol.  This river water flows into a portion of my parcel although the prim itself is not on my land. 

My question is - does anyone have any knowledge on how LL views this issue?  On the one hand my neighbor does not have any prims, per se, on my property, but the "result" of his prim is.  I plan to send a polite IM to the neighbor asking him to pull the extension back off my parcel but in case he chooses not to I wanted to get a "feel" for how LL would deal with a potential support ticket about this.  I hope to not have to go this route but the topic of sim extensions is one I've wondered about for some time.

The neighbor next to me has one about 200m or so in the air and a part of it laps over onto my land as well but I never addressed it since I live higher up and it was never an issue. The extension is quite pretty - it makes that area look like it's in the alps.  I visited the store of its creator to check them out and he puts "warnings" in his description cards that say the extensions should only be rezzed on sim borders (which this neighbor does live on, the one behind me does not) and that the creator is not responsible for neighbors' complaints, so that would seem to indicate there have been "issues" with these.

Thank you for any feedback on this.

If the prim is on your land, it's encroachment, there's no gray area.

I generally start by sending an IM or something to the owner. If that fails, on mainland you can return it now (at least, I think that got rolled out everywhere). If not, you have to AR it and wait.

LL has implemented the feature of being able to return megas that encroach so you should be able to return this yourself.  Of course, IM'g the owner is a courtesy that I would choose to employ first.  Let them remove it themselves.

Another thing regarding megas that encroach.  If they are sculpts, then there are other problems that occur.  I have a mainland water sim.  My neighbor chose to put up mega sculpt walls and the bounding box of these encroached onto my land, impeding the use of boats.  So, bounding box negatively effected these vehicles and I could no longer launch any boats there.

I hope you get it sorted.  Encroachment can be tediuos to have to deal with.

Gadget Portal wrote:

If the prim is on your land, it's encroachment, there's no gray area.

I generally start by sending an IM or something to the owner. If that fails, on mainland you can return it now (at least, I think that got rolled out everywhere). If not, you have to AR it and wait.

That's the thing...the prim itself that results in the flowing river effect isn't on my land.  I checked the land box for any items owned by others on my parcel and there isn't any; it's just the overflow from that prim.

@Gadget & Rival - It sounds like you're both saying there is a way to return encroaching megas; I'm assuming by your posts I can do so even if there is no prim owned by my neighbor showing in my land box?  I need to do a search for this feature...sounds very helpful.  Will definitely talk to the guy first, just wasn't sure if I had any "footing" so to speak if the prim wasn't on my land.

Thank you both. :)

You are within your rights to have it moved so that no part of it is on your lot.  However, to avoid a hard feelings before contacting LL, i'd talk to your neighbor about it first.  He may not know its a problem and would move it on his own once you tell him.  If he refuses or doesn't cooperate in a reasonable time, then report it.

Yes exactly.  You select the prim & choose 'return' from the menu.  The permissions system will tell you via chat if you are not allowed to remove the prim.  This would occur if it is determined that the prim doesn't encroach.  If it does, then poof prim returned to owner.

But yes, most def contact owner first as odds are, he/she is unaware that it is encroaching.

GL :)

I found this which tell you how to set it up, but you must have estate manager rights, it all so say that it is now enabled on all Linden Owned mainland regions.  I'm on a region that is part owned by LL, the region says it's on, but doesn't look like it's working.  The link all so list a few known bugs that wont get detected.

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Parcel_encroachment

Thank you all so very much for your great responses and info and to the link for details on the parcel encroachment return.  I had no idea this was available. 

I took another look at the area of encroachment today and realized that it is not just water effects that is over my land, but a megaprim that contains an entire island, complete with gazebo, walkway, rocks, and waves.  The outline of the prim shows it is placed diagonally on my neighbor's land, thus forming a diamond shape with the bottom triangle of the diamond being the part that is encroaching.

Will be contacting the neighbor and hopefully he will be an agreeable type.

Update:  I sent a polite note to my neighbor and he responded promptly with a kind IM and rearranged the builds on his land, pulling them back much farther than I expected.  It is a pleasure to meet nice neighbors. :)

Thank you all again so much for your info and help.

Yay I'm glad it all worked out for you.

I've always found that if you approach people politely and respectfully they more than likely comply without a problem.  If you run into someone nasty or a drama queen you always can fall back on plan B - reporting it to LL or the estate owner and if necessary ban and mute them.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4341 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.