Gathering ideas

Spinell

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4420 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

HEllo everyone. I work on gothic victorian fashion for women and I haven't put out much yet. I wanted to do a bit of research inside the SL community to get a better feel of what my costumers may want out of me.

So, I'd like to know what sort of simbolism, colour choices and even types of outfits would you associate more with the term" gothic" or "gothic victorian"?

If you could give me your opinion, I'd be very greateful!

With the term "gothic" I consider darker, deep and richer colors to be gothic. Deep red, Black, dark orange, dark pink, deep blue, etc. I associate outfits that are more modern which can be short skirts with gothic flare, different style modern corsets, etc.

With the term "victorian gothic" I consider those colors to be medium to meidum dark colors of browns, off white, blue, red.I associate outfits with this era that are more the longer type dresses/gowns with lace and ruffles and corsets.

Most certainly dark rich colors. Something that screams high-quality fabric. The main flaw I see in clothes created in this styl e is that the fabric is far too shiny. While it may have a slight sheen, shiny fabric is usually cheap and therefore looks cheap.

I suggest looking up actual dresses to see the styles and how the fabric goes.

Another thing is, how victorian are we talking? Recall that the style was rather consertive with barely an ankle showing. If you want it modern then a little more can show but not enough that there is nothing hidden.

Also, frills and lace but just enough to make it look good and not gaudy.

Course, that is what I think when I think of the term. : )

To me gothic can be any clothes associated with any era that used 'gothic' design elements.  That includes the clothes that modern Goths wear in RL.

As you probably know, gothic design originated in medieval times.  There was a revival of the design characteristics of the gothic style. The Victorians added their own spin to gothic design during the revival.  Victorian Gothic to me is Victorian clothing influenced by the gothic revival particularly gothic revival period mourning clothes in SL, which were characterized by prolific use of ornate design elements and dark mourning colors i.e.: black, grey, shades of violet, and black-and-grey, for various stages of mourning.  The addition of red to the pallet of clothing is a more recent addition inspired by gothic novels featuring vampires and other night denizens and their victims symbolizing blood.

I will buy anything that isn't bustley or billowy. Preferably in deep rich darker colours but I have found some remarkable exceptions inworld.

My fave styles are Medieval, Victorian & Steampunk influenced gowns or gowns that have a timeless design element to them. A hint of Celtic knotwork embroidery or needlework incorporated into the bodice/design is also what I always look for. (quite rare inworld though).

Gothic / Victorian will allow you to have more modern elements into your work such as bustle & billow less, or showing a hint of calf & thigh for example. (my opinion only).

Ultimately it would be a mix of all styles including Elizabethan/Renaissance/Tudor and demure but unintentionally/accidentally, slightly risque'.

Eg: Tears Angel Xana with say 80 percent more black/darker colour would be absolutely superb.

NewBadge3.jpg

My take on Gothic Victorian would be a modern vampiress wearing her original & (human) ancestors clothing?

I think you need to start your own fashion group inworld.

I would love to be a member of your group please.

• 4 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4420 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.