Reasonable LI standards for stuff?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4301 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hiya smarties!

Firstly, here is a nifty song for you to listen to while you ponder my question. =) 

I am returning to building boats.  Yay!  I am excited by what I am seeing with separation of physics count and visual stuff, and all the nifty that comes with it.  But it leaves me with some questions. 

Has anyone or group decided on a sane LI standard for boats, cars n stuff?  I saw somewhere that some RP sims are asking for 100LI limits for vehicles. Which is far more geometry than I could ever use up.  But I see some edge cases right off the bat with a number that large.  One obvious, not so edge case, would be the mainland waterway or roads.  Where no beach or road side parcel ever has 100LI to spare. Though most don't have 32(the old vehicle limit) avail either..

Will I get laughed at if I produce an ossm, but maybe 50LI boat?  Did I mention it will be Awesome?

Did you like the song?

=)

Well you should! It's a beautiful song.

You are very much correct about being able to lower the physics cost. Which is means I can launch a 200 plus LI boat, as I can keep the physics cost seperate and very low. To me, a 200li boat would be excessive, even 100li might be as well.

So I'm wondering, what others are limiting themselves to? I'd like to say 50li, but I'm only guessing. Any ideas?

I don't think there's going to be one right answer to this, lower is all way better and gives more flexibility to where it could be used.   But one thing to keep in mind a 200 LI boat won't be able to cross a 512sqm parcle even if it's empty.  For me even staying at 32 LI give me a lot of flexibility with some prims now only costing 0.5 LI when linked.  Going to 48 LI seams reasonable or may be even 64 LI for a really big project, but I will have to force my self to cross the 32 LI mark,  I'm so use to building for the old limit. lol

I don't see any reason for any limits beyond the limits of the build tools them selves.  Even before the new LI there were very large 250 prim ships that had non physical movement, how well those sold vs smaller physical boats I don't know.  If I was to start a boat business I wouldn't limit my self to just one size of boat over time.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4301 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.