AMD Display Error

iCade

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4302 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Since my return about a week ago I have endured this but it's getting retarded!

I have not changed a single thing about my computer since my hiatus, but now everytime I am in SL after a random amount of time it will give me an error ala "AMD Display device error, it had to be reset." My client goes black and stops reacting. So I close the client, log back in and after a random amount of time same thing.

There is no rhyme or reason to the frequency, I have had it after 2 minutes of log in and sometimes I am online for 1-2 hours before it happens. Now, in the past 2 hours I have disconnected a total of 9! times. My graphics driver is up to date, as is my client. Help please, this makes it REALLY hard to enjoy SL =/

Using:

Windows 7 Proffessional Service Pack 1

AMD FX(tm)- 4100 Quad-Core Processor 3.60 Ghz
8GB RAM
64 Bit

AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series

How old is your power supply?

I was getting error messages in another (graphics intensive) game and narrowed it down to my power supply wasn't stable enough to power the video card at the full clock speed.  In the Catalyst menu I dropped the AMD Overdrive setting to 25-50 less MHz and, while frame rate was slightly lower, I didn't get any more lockups or resets.

Maybe?

It's new. During my hiatus I played Tera Online, an MMORPG whose graphic and resource wise so much more heavier than SL could ever be. I had exactly zero disconnects there. Even now when I am in the game I do not disconnect, no driver issues, no nothing.

But as soon as I boot up SL I can literally wait for it, and don't have to wait long :(

Something similar was happening to me, after I updated my drivers. After random amount of time my viewer would go black and I got a popup msg telling me that "Display driver has stopped responding and has recovered". Everything else works fine but viewer needs to be restarted. I was too lazy to switch to previous drivers because the problem was only when using Firestorm. Since I had 2 viewers I switched to Niran's and not only that I never got that same problem, the viewer itself did not crash, ever lol. 

The problem is worst on Firestorm. Singularity runs quite stable.

I honestly doubt it's a hardware issue on my part or all viewers would cause the same issues no?

I'll continue to try different viewers in hopes of finding one that does not give me this error like Tamara has done, her problem is the exact same I have o.O

SL has problems with the new drivers for ATI the last valid driver thats seems to work well is 12.1 also turn off the Ai for the catalyst driver as it  does from time to time cause problems.

Firestorm and the LL viewer do stress the video quite a lot and it is possible that the load is taxing your power suppy I occasionally get wierd pop ups with a new 650 watt power supply, LL killed another 500 watt supply its one a year now for 7 years or perhaps the cheap sleeve bearing fans they just seem to love to put in power supplys these days.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4302 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.