Question for photographers

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4063 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

When I take pictures, I take them as a high rez snapshot, and also take them as big as I can, how come when I upload them to photoshop its not as clear as it SHOULD be, and will only be clear as a certain zoom in, if I zoom in any further it is blurry and "pixely"... can anyone give me any tips or tricks to fix this please. Thanks!!!

Anti-aliasing will help, but if you are looking close up at low-rez textures, there's not much you can do. Hi-rez snapshots on my Mac are about 5000x3000 pixels and a panoramic view of my home in Forgotten City can be breathtaking, with every stone and brick clearly delineated. But, if I cam in to examine a single brick, which might be a 128x128 texture, it's a fuzzy mess.

Unlike RL, SL does not often reveal hidden beauty when you get out the microscope.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Resolution : depends.. it used to be 5000x3000 less more or e.t.c.

Graphics : Ultra

Photoshop : Open Picture - unlock (double click on layer-ok ) - image - image size - uncheck resample image - change resolution to 300.

Secondlife - google e.t.c. used to compressed the images from the original resolution to lower resolution. This helps to change the resolution but it resize the picture. but it helps and is must for any picture.

edit: when i say it resize the picture i mean the file size

• 1 month later...

Celena Galli wrote:

Photoshop : Open Picture - unlock (double click on layer-ok ) - image - image size - uncheck resample image - change resolution to 300.

Secondlife - google e.t.c. used to compressed the images from the original resolution to lower resolution. This helps to change the resolution but it resize the picture. but it helps and is must for any picture.

When we take a snapshot in Secondlife - let's say 5000 x 4000 pixels, that is exactly what we get.  Second Life does not change the image in any way.  What size image you take, that's what you get.  Second Life textures, images have no idea at all what a DPI is - it just does not exist there.  (Therefore Second Life does not and cannot compress the image from the "original" to "lower" resolution because such thing does not exist there.Image size in pixels is the only thing that matters.  When taking a snapshot, the resolution (DPI) has no meaning at all.

The DPI does not magically turn the snapshot to a higher quality image.  When you change the DPI of the image in Photoshop [unchecking "Resample Image"] the image size in pixels remains the same.  Nothing has changed in the image, the image is still the same quality as it was earlier.

What does DPI then do?  What it does is that it changes the size and resolution of the image which is printed on paper.  That is all it does, nothing else.  We can see it from these screenshots (the "Document Size" is the size of the image printed on paper):

DPI-72.jpg

DPI-300.jpg

If we print this 685 x 300 pixels image on paper with 72 DPI,  the printed image will measure 24.17 x 10.53 centimeters on the paper.  It will look pixellated, not very high quality.

If we print this 685 x 300 pixels image on paper with 300 DPI,  the printed image will now measure 5.8 x 2.54 centimeters on the paper.  It will look very good.  We have now 300 dots per inch instead of 72 dots per inch.  Naturally the more dots per inch on paper we have the better the image looks.

Now, how do things look on a monitor? Does DPI have any meaning there?

The fact is that:

385 x 300 pixels image at 72 DPI

looks exactly the same as

385 x 300 pixels image at 300 DPI

There is no difference at all, both images are equal, they are the same.

DPI has no meaning at all when looking the image on monitor.

If we wanted to print 24.17 x 10.53 image on paper with 300 DPI then we would have needed a much larger original image than the 685 x 300 pixels.  We would have needed 2855 x 1250 pixels image then.  Naturally we cannot just resize the image in photoshop to a bigger pixel dimensions hoping to get larger good quality image. :smileywink:

DPI-300-large.jpg

All designers/photographers/artists have different opinion about this years now. I confess that Its the 1st time i heared that secondlife do not compress images and maybe you have right.She said that even if she take shooting with very high resolution, the picture is not clear and probably she has already use some methods to increase the quality of shooting in secondlife viewer in advanced menu, thats the reason why i told her about the 300. Yes its true. the monitor do not cares about dpi cause it's ppi and we change it with the same way as we change the dpi for prints in document size. Web used to compress the images and as you said secondlife do not compress the images as internet does.So why the image appeared in her ps a little bit different than the original image? so things may will be a lil bit different Some old programs used to have 96 dpi 72 x 1+1/3 and are not appeared well in 72 or 120 ppi.Even though 72dpi is standard for the web, monitors have slightly different resolutions depending how you have the monitor set and how big the monitor is. For example, a 19″ monitor set to 1024×768 will show 70ppi (pixels per inch, monitors use pixels which are square not round but pixels and dots for the sake of this conversation are otherwise analogous). By comparison, a 19″ monitor set to 1280×1024 will have a resolution of 87ppx which means you fit more on the screen and get more detail, but everything looks smaller.So the 72 in web is only for having a small file size and fast loading and nothing else. Yes, the difference between a 300 dpi and 72 dpi it will not be felt in the eye, in web /screen because we used to see the images in 100%,this does not mean that does not exist.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4063 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.