Meshing trousers

Spinell

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4307 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

This is my first time doing bottoms on blender, and I have a few questions concerning the physics of this. I'm making an underwear combo, and I'm working on some puffy bloomers. And as I make them puffy, they of course colide with each other. Now, I will model it so that it looks fine, my concern is with the rigging: when the avatar moves in SL with the mesh on, will the mesh addapt so that it won't collide and intersect with itself? Or do I really have to model this so that, in a walking cycle, it doesn't colide?

You are going to have to model and weight it to work as you want. There are limits to how well that works.

Nothing in SL will do cloth or consider collions of the mesh clothes we wear.

The deformer is going to help with getting clothes to fit. It is not going to help with collisions or movement. So, what you see now is still what we are going to have after the Deformer is working.

In Blender you will find Cloth Simulation has a collision process. There is no such process in SL. In the Creartors Continent Improvement Informal User Group we are talking about how to add cloth sim to SL.

Oh, cloth simulation in SL.... what a dream. Actually, rather than cloth simulation, how about implementing gravity first? Because SL basicallu has no gravity; you can have flexi prims but really it's just an indication of what's the ground and what's up. But really there's no real gravity. xD

Spinell wrote:

you can have flexi prims but really it's just an indication of what's the ground and what's up. But really there's no real gravity.
xD

I won't claim the flexiprims look very natural, but that doesn't mean there's no gravity. Gravity works by a very simple formula and it is used in the LL code. You might want to play around with the flexi settings. If you look at physical objects in SL, you'll see the gravity itself is accurate.

I wouldn't wait on cloth simulation in SL, I even think it's never going to happen, not the way it works in 3D applications anyway. The way people build in SL, with all the insane detail and dense meshes, would result in calculations crippling even the most high end computers on the market.

Kwakkelde Kwak wrote:

Spinell wrote:

you can have flexi prims but really it's just an indication of what's the ground and what's up. But really there's no real gravity.
xD

I wouldn't wait on cloth simulation in SL, I even think it's never going to happen, not the way it works in 3D applications anyway.

Actually there is some hope to get cloth simulation to SL as stated by Falcon Linden here:

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/CTS-367

It has even been stated: "Fast travel by train is impossible because the passengers will die of asphyxia."

As we can see this statement has failed.  :smileytongue:

• Like 1

Interesting, but the word "someday" isn't really reassuring:)

As many people in the jira posted, it will be a huge load on the graphics hardware. As far as I know it's only done with fairly low poly models when real time rendering. And even that is a load on the system.

The technology is there, but I wouldn't want to have my computer calculating wavy dresses with polygons about 5mm small, which seems to be the norm for some builders.

I hope they can think of a way to make it possible, it does look amazing, especially for hair (which is unfortunately even more polygon heavy than clothing).

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4307 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.