Getting Rid of the Line at Bottom of Textured Prim?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4315 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have a curtain texture that I use with an open/close script.  The texture includes the alpha layer for the open curtain position.  At the bottom of the curtains (traditional pleated type) there is a very thin but visible line.  I thought perhaps the texture had some residual pixels that had not been erased; that wasn't it.  I tried making the bottom of the prim alpha; line still there.

From what I can tell, this line is caused by the edge of the prim bottom.  I have the width set for the minimum of 0.010 and since I can't go any thinner than this for the width I'm stumped.  Does anyone know of a way to have the line not show? 

It's kind of a common problem that I've seen on textures......mostly on prim skirts.  It's a tiny error that the creator made when making the texture.  Heck I've done it myself a few times.  Aside from Rolig's suggestion about reducing the vertical repeats by a small amount, the only other way to correct the problem is to re-make the texture with your favorite image editing program.  When I've made the mistake it was when I was working on the texture on my working sized canvas (which is usually 1024 by 1024 pixels) and one of my layers wound up being a tiny bit smaller in the vertical (or horizontal) demension.....like maybe 1023 or 1022 pixels instead of what I thought it was (1024).  When I reduce the size for my upload and save to a flat image that line of pixels shows once you put it on a prim..  Reducing the repeats moves that line off the prim so you don't see it......which is a good work around if you can't re-do your texture.

And another trick for thin prims like a curtain is to put the same texture as the face of the curtain on the sides, top and bottom to give the curtain a more natural look (I've tried the 100% transparent texture but that actually shows and looks un-natural).

Peggy Paperdoll wrote:

It's a tiny error that the creator made when making the texture.

It's not.

What you see is the top of the curtain appearing at the bottom.

It's called bleeding, the SL renderer does this to get smooth repeats. There are two ways as far as I know to prevent this, the first  is by setting the repeat to a fraction lower than 1.0 as suggested. The other is to make sure both top and bottom of the texture have transparancy, a coupe of pixels should be enough.

• Like 1

Thank you all so much for your responses. :)  I had tried remaking the texture and making sure there was a clean edge, ie. no stray pixels that could be showing up.  I originally had the curtain texture on all 4 sides and thought that might have been the problem, which is when I tried  making the bottom transparent.

I do have an alpha line at the bottom of the texture, but never thought of the top as well. Changing the repeats had never entered my mind, so will be trying that first and hopefully that takes care of the dreaded "phantom line."

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4315 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.