Very low FPS

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4316 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

All right, I've got a really decent comp so I think I should be able to run SL on ultra but I get low FPS even on medium and such always going bellow 10 FPS... Realistically, it shouldn't. If I need to update a part, what should I update? I don't know much of comps but I got a person who can help update it for me.

Operating System MS Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit SP1

CPU Intel Core i5 661 @ 3.33GHz Clarkdale 32nm Technology

RAM 16,0 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 669MHz (9-9-9-24)

Motherboard ASUSTeK Computer INC. P7H55-M (LGA1156)

Graphics S22B300 (1920x1080@60Hz) 1023MB GeForce GTX 550 Ti (ASUStek Computer Inc)

Hard Drives 488GB Western Digital WDC WD5000AAKS-07YGA0 ATA Device (SATA) 59GB OCZ OCZ-AGILITY3 ATA Device (SATA) 1465GB Western Digital WDC WD15EADS-00R6B0 ATA Device (SATA)

Optical Drives HL-DT-ST BDDVDRW GGC-H20N ATA Device

Audio Realtek High Definition Audio

I have the same video card, I am on ultra settings too with all the shiny's, you need to make sure though that you are not trying to draw more then 150m in certain area's and in others no more then 50m,  if you want the best performance,  now if you are an close to empty sim (building/av wise) you can crank it up with no real issues. 

Just remember if you are trying to draw everything in a sim that is loaded down ,you are going to lag like crazy, espcially with this card.  so drop that draw distance.

I am running an older Core2 Quad and a new GTX560Ti. I get 10 FPS on Ultra. I run about 25 with draw distance down to 128 and shadows off. In DirectX games I can blow 100 to 1,000 FPS (1k in some optimized benchmarks, which is sort of a cheat). In Blue Mars I can average over 100FPS.

There are some with similar machines that are running 55FPS. I have not been able to track down the problem.

I do know that the viewer's Anti-Aliasing (AA) is a bit slow. Some turn off the viewer's AA and use the cards AA. You can make an nVidia setting for SL in the nVidia Control Panel. See: Graphics Tweaking for Second Life. If you use the viewer's AA the 2X does pretty well with my 560.

High AA settings can drag your system down. You can find the viewer setting in Preferences->Graphics->HARDWARE (button).

The render pipeline in SL is being worked on and the rumor is some changs are coming. I use the Developement Viewer and have yet to see any great improvement in FPS. 

My basic point is: you are not going to get great frame rates with any hardware without understanding how to tweak the viewer.

"Have you ran a speed test on your internet connection?"

52 ms ping, 77.82 mbps download, 10,87 mbps upload   on www.speedtest.net

23ms, 0 jitter, 0% packet loss and grade A quality  on  http://pingtest.net/

If it's my connection, I'll eat my own butt. xD

"What is your draw distance set to?

Have you updated graphics drivers?"

I tried setting draw distance to 64, that's the minimum right?  My graphics should be up to date from Nvidia's side though I'm having huge troubles with some parts, not sure about if the BIOS is up to date from Asus side. I go and download the bios to see there's new one and both the ones I download say my graphics card isn't the right version? I forgot to say, I just bought this card as new, is that relevant? I try overclock it to put coreclock to 980 and  memory clock to 2300 and fan speed 100. That doesn't work either and if I go higher, the screen starts acting weird. (I didn't max it, put it just a bit but there started comign all weird lines and stuff so I put stuff to that which seems to work fine)

Turning the draw distance to minimum doesn't solve anything, the frames drop to like 4 and bellow. On totally empty, I may achieve 30 or maybe even close to 40 but never 60. Ping is also high, 230-350 or even more. I even seen it go above 500!

Internet speed has nothing to do with FPS, or shouldn't have. Speedtest is good nonetheless. though you'd have to manually set a test server close to the SL datacenters to get a reliable ping comparison. Within the US, ping should never exceed 250ms unless on some high-latency satellite link or somesuch.

10fps is really ridiculous on your hardware. If your drivers are up-to-date... I'm wondering, based on the high roundtrip time, if you have any so-called "internet security suite" installed? If so, try what happens if you temporarily turn it off.

Mary Voorhees wrote:

I have AVG Virus and Comodo Firewall. How could they affect the frame rate?

Indirectly. The viewer isn't multithreaded all that well. While loading textures, the FPS drops (quite drastically). Internet security software often implements SPI, which slows down the network layer. That's actually easy to test. Go to a sim, stand still until nothing loads anymore and check the FPS. I.e. when checking the statistics floater (CTRL+SHIFT+1), bandwidth should be below 50kbps.

When downloading textures and mesh vertices lists those files are being checked by your Anti-Virus (AV). You can speed up that process by white listing the cache folder and sub-folders. 

Make sure AVG is not running a firewall too. Double firewals can both mess things up and slow down the data stream.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4316 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.