Ruffles

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4309 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I love ruffles, especially on shirts and tops.

I tried to make some for a top to sell, but a lot of people had trouble fitting them to the avatar.

I've seem some lovely clothes on the marketplace that have ruffles in them, some look make out of flexi prims, some look make ot of sculpties or mesh.

Since this is something I defenitely something I want to incorporate into my designs to sell, what's the best way to make ruffles?

(Btw, I know how to make mesh, so no probs there ;))

I love Ruffles, too.  They're especially good with French onion dip.  What's the best way to make them, you ask?  Well, start with fresh, firm potatoes, and scrub them thoroughly under cold water.  Slice them thinly, and evenly, with a good, sharp crinkle cutter.  Next, soak them in very cold water, for at least half an hour, and then dry them thoroughly, with layers of paper towels.  Now, in a large, deep pan, heat up a half-inch depth of oil to 350 degrees, and then drop the potato slices in.  Let them fry for about three minutes, and then remove them with a slotted spoon.  Let them cool thoroughly to crisp, and serve.  Enjoy.

mcclures-chips3.jpg

Oh, wait, were you asking about something different?  Hmm... :D

Sorry, couldn't resist that one.  OK, here's my response to your actual question. :)

The best answer I can give you is that there is no single answer.  Just as with any "what's the best way to make _____" question, you should use whatever medium, or combination of media, is best for the specific effect you're trying to acheive. 

For example, if you want the fabric to be able to flap around in the breeze, use flexies.  Or, if you want it to be able to animate with the avatar's body movements, use rigged mesh.  If you want it to be able to do both, then make different sections of it out of each.  If you want it to be totally rigid, use unrigged mesh, or sculpties, or prims, or any combination thereof.

You said there were some existing products in the marketplace that you liked.  How about purchasing some of those, and taking a good look at how they're put together?  That's really one of the best ways to get ideas.  See how other people did it, and then improve on it with some added ingenuity of your own.

As for your actual modeling of the fabric, I'd strongly recommend you begin by doing what every trained artist in the world has done, since time immemorial:  drapery studies, drapery studies, and more drapery studies.  Grab a sheet, throw it over some furniture, and draw what you see. Obeserve carefully how light and shadow fall across the surface, as the fabric bends and folds and curves and twists.  Pay attention to how the surface itself flows from points of tension to areas of relaxation.  Really, REALLY look, study deeply, and record.

When you're done, do it again.  And again, and again, and again, and again, and again... 

This is THE way you learn to model realistic fabric.  Artists have been doing this since the Renaissance, and we're still doing it today.   It's what works, period.

Michelangelo, for example, was able to sculpt things like this:

michelangelo-pieta.jpg

specifically because he first spent countless hours drawing things like this:

inv-1887-5-2-118-recto-w-10-study-of-drapery-by-michelangelo-buonarroti.jpg

And Leaonardo was able to sculpted this:

davincix-large.jpg

because he had spent years drawing things like this:

drapery-study-for-a-standing-figure-seen-from-the-front-by-leonardo-da-vinci.jpg

As a student, I did more drapery studies in school than I'd care to count. I still do them, from time to time.  They're invaluable.  I would never have become the 3D modeler I am today without them. 

If you want to get really good at modeling fabrics, this is THE way to do it.  Any and all software-specific techniques we might discuss take a very distant backseat to the fundamental importance of drapery studies. Do a few yourself, and you'll be amazed at what an immediate impact they will have on your ability as a modeler.  The more you do, the better you'll get.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I like the sour cream ruffles personally, with or without French Onion Dip. 

As far as ruffles for SL clothing, look at using flexis, mesh ,or sculpts. You can do mesh so sounds like you are ahead of the game.  Like Chosen stated, you have to decide what you want to use and are comfortable working with.  I don't think there is a best way to make ruffles.  The Seer has some great flexi prim ruffles for wrists, neck pieces, arms, etc.  There are a couple of sculpt sets on MP for things like chest ruffles that are static.  Stella Gravois at Trendy Template has a flexi generator for shirt ruffles. 

Also, consider the consumer you may be selling to if that matters to you.  I won't buy any shoes, clothing, hair, etc. if it is made out of mesh. So when I design, I create items for those like me; my clientele may be small but ti is what I am comfortable with.    When/if the deformer comes out and most use a mesh viewer, then I might change my old way.  Till then, I will buy from thoses who don't use mesh. 

Really, it is up to you what you think is the best.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4309 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.