SL won't work on my computer

LoganVintageHipster

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3477 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

SL keeps saying try checking your network connection and then run again. And i have re installed, what do i do?

Well then yes, im using a wireless modem for internet and because of my mom being so cheap, i have a Panasonic CF-51? if that makes any sense. But i can see already my computer is not updated or have the internet for Second Life, so thank you for answering my question. Really wished i could get on second life.

Ok thank you but what computer would you suggest i use? 

A laptop or Desktop?

And also i am 17.

6 answers to this question

So, did you check your network connection?

I assume that you're not using wireless.  If you are, there's part of your problem.  Wireless is a poor choice for SL.  There's too much interference and wireless just isn't stable enough for the heavy, continuous data transfer that SL creates.

Did you reboot your router?  Unplug it from the power for a few minutes to clear its RAM and let it get a fresh look at your IP address.

Did you check to be sure that you don't have a firewall or an antivirus routine blocking your access?  See here for firewall info >>> http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Using-Second-Life-with-a-firewall/ta-p/1304539 and here for anti-virus advice >>> http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/antivirus_whitelisting

If you tried those things and they haven't made a difference, take a look here >>> http://blog.nalates.net/2011/09/11/cant-login-second-life/

BTW, you never told us anything about your computer.  What kind is it? To add information, click on the Options link in the upper right corner of your question and select EDIT. Please do NOT start a new thread.

• Like 1

LoganVintageHipster wrote:

[ ... ]

Well then yes, im using a wireless modem for internet and because of my mom being so cheap, i have a Panasonic CF-51? if that makes any sense. But i can see already my computer is not updated or have the internet for Second Life, so thank you for answering my question. Really wished i could get on second life.

That's a shame.  That Panasonic CF-51 sounds like a bulletproof machine.  I just read a quick review on the Internet.  You can drop that thing from 10m and it will bounce and keep on running.  Unfortunately, though, the review says, "Toughbooks tend to attract a buyer who is more concerned with durability than design and performance. "  It's just not powerful enough to handle SL.  Sorry.

Well, to be honest, I'v never heard of the Panasonic CR-51.  I Googled it and found it's rugged business notebook computer call a "Tough Book".  Evidently the primary design feature is it's ruggedness.  I guess some companies use the computer for field technicians for such businesses as telephone or cable TV where the technicians need a computer for their work.......the sales pitch says it can withstand fairly severel drops and other abuse.  I suppose that's a good thing when the computer is used for what it's designed for.

But, it's not designed for heavy Internet use.  It's very limited in it's specifications and almost no provisions for upgrading to a computer that will do much besides a little bit of web browsing.  It certainly does not appeat to be able to handle games (except the most basic of games like the ones you get with your Windows XP operating system........Black Jack, Hearts, Battleship and such).  The maximum memory the computer can handle is 4 GB of DDR 2 RAM.........that's not very good.  It has intergrated graphics (but I could not find what intergraed graphics..............so I'm going to say it's very low level.  It's nothing but a basic computer designed with a specific purpose (field work for businesses who have a need for the field employees to have a computer to work with when they are their work in the field).  Not suitable for a program like SL at all.

You mentioned that you are wireless because your "mom being so cheap".  The specs state the computer has an Ethernet connection (RJ-45 connector).  That's a hardwire connection........you do not have to use wireless.  Every router made for home use has hardwire connections.........even the wireless routers.  If there is no router in you home network then maybe your mother is using the single Ethernet connection for her use?  If that's the case then why not spring a few bucks for a router so you can connect with the Ethernet cable?  I just purchased a new router a couple weeks ago and I spent a bunch (just over $100 USD)......you can find some good ones for $50 - $75 USD quite easily.

But, even if you go that route and get a router and connect with an Ethernet cable your computer is not going to run SL worth a flip.........if at all.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6045978&CatId=3981

Your question is buried at the bottom of a question that someone else asked two and a half years ago, so you probably won't get many replies. It's smarter to start your own question and explain exactly what you mean. Are you having trouble logging in? Are you logging in but not seeing things rez? Are you getting some sort of error message? We can't help much without knowing what your problem is.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3477 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.