Collection of IP address

funkilicous

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4419 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

If a in world company acquires your IP address and email is it possible to ban a IP address or email as a way to block the use of alts and circumvent the LL TOS?

OK maybe I need to add more info on this company's complaint form is asks for your email address and in small print says its collecting your IP address just trying to figure out why they would need this information.oohh also the form is on a outside website

5 answers to this question

Funk,

I'm sure there is a real question there somewhere. Let's try to break things down a bit.

A SecondLife Account logs into SL on a a PC accessing the internet through an assigned an IP address. That account had a Email Address associated with it. This is considered private information.

You are NOT allowed to attempt to determine the private information associated with any account per the LL TOS.

All you are allowed to do it to Ban and/or report Avatars you have valid issues with.

If you require better access control then you need to do one of the following:

1) About Land / Access / Uncheck [  ] Allow Public Access & add the list of the allowed avatars to the Allowed Residents list.

2) Get a Security Bot and program it with the names of the allowed avatars

3) Create and Deed your parcel to a SecondLife Group, add the allowed avatars to the group and About Land / Access / check [X] Allow Group Access

If they're collecting the information via an external website, rather than in SL, then I don't see how the ToS would come into it, unless, as Rolig says, they then used this information in world, to purport to identify alts.   But if they're simply collecting the information -- for whatever reason -- if you choose to visit their external site, then I don't see how LL or the ToS are involved.

If the website's hosts or owners are anywhere in the EU, though, the relevant data protection law may well apply.   Why not ask them what they need this data for?    If they have a legitimate reason, they shouldn't mind telling you.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4419 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.