can i buy linden dollars from another avatar?

Ari Crystal

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4394 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

5 answers to this question

I suppose you can.  But if you want to buy the lindens using real world currency you are going to have to give the person who you are purchasing the lindens some personal information......specifically, personal financial information (unless this person a a neighbor or yours or close enough to you in real life so that you could hand the person real life currency.  You also have to trust this person to follow up and actually give you the lindens you bought.  That's a lot of trusting for what is most probably a complete stranger (I can't think of many things on the Internet dumber than that).

There's also the risk you are taking that the lindens you are buying are lindens that the person you buying them from were obtained legally.  There are people who steal financial information from people and use some of the money they gain from that financial information to buy such things as lindens........the sell them to someone like you.  That's called money laundering........it's a felony in the US (and I'm sure almost everywhere else in the world.......Linden Lab is the owner of SL and LL is an American company so that law applies in SL). 

There's so much that can go wrong and so much of a chance that you might wind up in deep financial and/or legal trouble that anyone who does such a thing, in opinion, deserves all that happens to them.  Use the Linden Exchange or an approved exchange site.  Forget trying to get something on the cheap or by shady methods.  You'll be a lot safer and you'll not get into trouble with the law or your personal financial life.

I sometimes wonder how some people figure out how to even boot their computers when they display such naivety about personal safety on the Internet.

• Like 1

You can.  However, I strongly recommend that you don't.

There are reputable third party $L exchange websites.  These use the "Linden Lab Exchange Risk API".  It's safe to use them, but you won't get quite as good a rate as you can get by buying direct from LL.

Then there are the people who sell $L on eBay, or send you an offer to sell you $L in world.  These are very frequently scams.  At best, they simply take your money and you never hear from them again.  At worst, they sell you $L that were obtained by buying them with a stolen credit card.  LL *does* have ways to determine this, and they will take the money away from you and charge you a 50% penalty on top of it.

Or the seller may use your transaction as a way to get malware onto your computer, or steal your identity.

Ari,

Just in case you were really asking if you "can buy Lindens using one of your ALTernate Avatars"?

The answer is maybe, if you set up a payment method with that avatar account as well. But why would you want to?

I generally don't recommend this.

1) Many payment methods will usually balk at being connected to SecondLife more than once per account.

2) Keeping track of Linden purchases against actual real life cash used gets harder when 2 accounts can draw on a single payment method and/or you have 2 or more funding accounts.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4394 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.