Second Life and Open Source Software

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4359 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I just came across this interesting article from when LL announced SL was going the Open Source route.

While your opinion may vary, I do think for us Residents it has been a very good thing.

Still, I am posting this because I thought it would be of general interest here.

http://news.cnet.com/Second-Life-software-becomes-open-source/2100-7344_3-6148148.html

They were originally planning to make the server/sim code open source too, but decided against it.

I think that making the viewer open source has turned out well because of the extra features that were added to thrid-party viewers, some of which made it back into the LL viewers. Also, it forced LL to abandon their idiotic V2, because most people were using TPVs because of it.

The sidebar was singly the worst thing about the V2. I hated the V2 but I'm happy with the V3 and I started a thread to sing its praises (as compared to the V2) when I first used it, even though they still have no concept of what the camera controls should be like to make them usable. I'm sure there are more changes than just the sidebar bit, if there aren't, it's still a HUGE improvement on the V2.

ETA: If I'm not mistaken, translucent floaters are very big improvement over the V2, so that's changed too. My not infallable memory is telling me that the V2's floaters weren't transucent and got in the way far too much, adding to the ridiculousness of the viewer.

Masami Kuramoto wrote:

They only abandoned the sidebar. The rest of V2 is still there.

v3 is not as crapmed  up screen wise as v2 was..even if it wouldn't have had the side bar..the screen felt much more crapmed..

we have buttons on both sides  now and still feels like more room than when the side bar was there..it's a lot more versatile than the v2 viewer..

some things remained..but v2 is not still there..only some things from it..and some things from it will probably always remain..just like in the v1 viewers..until there is another drastic change..

the first version of the V2 i hated..i hated the camera buttons because you had to change windows to use them all and the stupid first side bar where the whole screen would slide over rather than the bar actually coming out..

that set the tone for the sidebar hate for sure hehehe

but it wasn't so bad after awhile..i actually kind of liked it after they fixed it and the camera buttons..

but then again i was on pre-alpha firestorm most of the time..so it was kinda nice hehehe

Ceka Cianci wrote:

but it wasn't so bad after awhile..i actually kind of liked it after they fixed it and the camera buttons..

They didn't fix the camera buttons/controls. They changed them but they never made them small enough to be permanently showing; i.e. to be practical. So they didn't fix them.

There's such a lot of wasted, and totally unnecessary space in the current cam contols. They are ever so slightly translucent but so slightly as to be hardly noticeable, so they are effectively still solid. And the size of those two arrow buttons is both ridiculous and stupid. Whoever designed it has no concept of the way that people actually use the cam controls. Which means that LL is stupid company for allowing people to design such things without knowing how they are actually used in practise.

Phil Deakins wrote:

Ceka Cianci wrote:

They didn't fix the camera buttons/controls. They changed them but they never made them small enough to be permanently showing; i.e. to be practical. So they didn't fix them.

There's such a lot of wasted, and totally unnecessary space in the current cam contols. They are ever so slightly translucent but so slightly as to be hardly noticeable, so they are effectively still solid. And the size of those two arrow buttons is both ridiculous and stupid. Whoever designed it has no concept of the way that people actually use the cam controls. Which means that LL is stupid company for allowing people to design such things without knowing how they are actually used in practise.

from what they were first they fixed them..for me anyways..they were terrible..

then they put them all on the same window..they were separated..it may not have been a fix for you guys..but for me it was..so ya lol

could they have used a resizer on them..sure..but that has nothing to do with how they worked or were accessed..

i was comparing the v2 first version that came out and what a terrible version it was vs the changes they made not long after where the side bar didn't push the screen over and the camera controls all being in one spot instead of two..

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4359 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.