Problems logging in

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4349 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello question for you all. A friend is having this error message as she logs in world, its says login failed updating friends list.  She can get onto the dashboard fine .

WE have never experienced an error like that before , can anyone advise?

Yesterday was the worst day I have seen for logins in years, though today seems a little better.  Another problem people were having is once the got in the got tremendous sim ping some over 20k and crashed within minutes and when they tried to return got a region log out message.  Apparently SL either did something in the restarts or right after them that they do not want to talk about or did it during the work the did the previous evening which also led to numerous crashes.  Whatever it was it led to log in chaos and needs to be fixed and fixed soon.

People really need to check the Grid Status Report if after a couple of attempts they can't log in.

Not that it could hurt but I know someone who did  a clean reinstall one day because they couldn't log in.  Yes, the grid was down. 

Even if they aren't doing upgrades to the software rolling restarts are beneficial to keeping everything running smoothest.  Just like rebooting your own PC can help.

http://status.secondlifegrid.net/

Hi Demi,

A clean install should hopefully fix this for your friend.

Uninstall normally then manually remove the hidden Second Life folders in AppData.

Enable Hidden Files & Folders:

1) Open Control Panel
2) Open “Folder Options”
3) Open the “View” tab
4) Check “Show hidden files, folders, and drives”

Press OK and close control panel.

Accessing AppData:

Browse to the path below that corresponds to your operating system:

Windows XP - C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\

Windows Vista - C:\Users\<username>\AppData\

Windows Vista Home Premium - C:\Users\<username>\AppData\

Windows 7 - C:\Users\<username>\AppData\ 

Inside the AppData folder:

1) Open the Local folder and delete the entire Second Life folder.

2) Go back one level to the AppData folder.

3) Open the Roaming folder and delete the entire Second Life folder. If you wish to save existing chat files you've had with other avatars, move the Roaming > [avatar name] folder elsewhere on your computer and drag any chat text files you wish to retain into the new Roaming > [avatar name] folder once Second Life is reinstalled and you've logged in at least once. Ignore if you don't want to save any.

4) Restart your computer.

Now download a fresh copy of Second Life and install it.

Demi Meridoc wrote:

thankyou for your reply it is much appreciated however  my friends  have been inworld for over 6 yrs and do know the basics of checking grid status for example . We are at a loss as to why this is happening  as to why asking here

/me understands. 

I bring it up to make sure first that the problem didn't occur during a downtime.  We do see quite a few 'omg the world is coming to an end posts' when all that was going on was a rolling restart.

When I used to do building maintenance, I once saw a maintenance man change a light switch after the tenant insisted they had changed the bulb in the ceiling light twice.  Turned out the tenant had a whole package of bad bulbs.  So I always try to start with the obvious.

Demi Meridoc wrote:

Hello Nyll and lovely name by the way
:)

Thankyou for that i be sure to pass it on , however she has told me she can sign in a alt without the same problem. 

Thanks Demi! Yours too. :)

It's an odd problem and one we see very seldom. The reason I mentioned that possible solution is that it is the one Support suggested to another resident suffering from the same problem and it worked. Various other suggestions were made in other threads but none were confirmed as working.

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Technical/can-not-log-in-says-updating-friends-list-log-in-failed/qaq-p/1430207

If it fails, your friend could try installing another viewer and log in with it, then return to whatever viewer she is now using and hopefully log it successfully.

Hello everyone! I downloaded the new copy of second life and I rebooted my computer but I have a very weird problem for about 2 months now. I neglected second life until I feel like really going on it so I need your help! When I click on second life and the log in screen comes up, the small tab where you are supposed to type your name in for it to log you in doesn't show my letters when I click on it and try to type. It doesn't work at all while the password tab works just fine. Is anyone else having this weird problem or is it just my computer? Any kind of help will be appreciated!

Hi Midnight,

Have you tried at full uninstall and reinstall?

Uninstall normally then manually remove the hidden Second Life folders in AppData.

Enable Hidden Files & Folders:

1) Open Control Panel
2) Open “Folder Options”
3) Open the “View” tab
4) Check “Show hidden files, folders, and drives”

Press OK and close control panel.

Accessing AppData:

Browse to the path below that corresponds to your operating system:

Windows XP - C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\

Windows Vista - C:\Users\<username>\AppData\

Windows Vista Home Premium - C:\Users\<username>\AppData\

Windows 7 - C:\Users\<username>\AppData\ 

Inside the AppData folder:

1) Open the Local folder and delete the entire Second Life folder.

2) Go back one level to the AppData folder.

3) Open the Roaming folder and delete the entire Second Life folder. If you wish to save existing chat files you've had with other avatars, move the Roaming > [avatar name] folder elsewhere on your computer and drag any chat text files you wish to retain into the new Roaming > [avatar name] folder once Second Life is reinstalled and you've logged in at least once. Ignore if you don't want to save any.

4) Restart your computer.

Now download a fresh copy of Second Life and install it.

Try tabbing from the Password field until it gets back to the Username field and see if that works. If the Username box will not highlight and allow you type your username in, I don't know what else to suggest and you should set up your own question on Answers or contact Support.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4349 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.