Constant Teleport Crashes.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3027 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

In the nearly 5 years I have been in Second Life. I have never seen  the teleport crashes as bad as they have been since the sim idling process began.

I seldom ever crashed before this. Crashing for me on my computer was a most rare ocassion, Now if I teleport or open inventory while chatting to someone in IM. I crash.

It seems as if half the resources to keep us online has vanished or rerouted to other things.

Could the idling of sims cause lag spikes when they become active that act as a power surge and knock any number of people offline?

All I know is this is very annoying. Please do not tell me it is my ISP or viewer selection, I experience the same issue with the SL viewer as well. And have the same ISP as I had 5 yrs ago with the exception it is faster and stronger now than it was then.

Secondlife is a very good product. The instability cause a lack of luster to a lot of game players. Facebook as boring as it is attracts people for what reason. Ease of use perhaps? Maybe its time to stop all the copy cat waist of time projects that no one uses and is in-house sponsored by only a few department heads that think it is fantastic. For example the Facebook like Profile copy cat thing that less then 10% of users even know about and is a total waist of resources.

If we wanted to follow someone like we do on twitter or face book or leave comments we would go there, Why log into Second life to do what we can already do in real life.

The overall experience in second life is nothing like it was 3 yrs ago or even 4 yrs ago.

No I 'm not ready to abandoned it...yet.. But the frustration level is getting far more intolerable than it ever has, For me to come here and post my personal feelings means there are others just as frustrated over the toys of personal interests superseding the common sense use of the average players.

There is by far no reason Second life is not a much larger success than it is at this very moment.

SL is far more stable and predictable than it was 3 years ago. Compared to 5 years ago it's like heaven now. To find out what is crashing your viewer look at the viewer crash logs. As for the rest of your post ... that is all a matter of preference.

Typical shill response... You re correct. It is far more predictable. You can now count on crashes. Irreverent lag issues. Constant loss of rezzed items that never seem to ever find there way back to lost and found. So yes I will agree it is far more predictable.

As for stability. That is as you put it a matter of preference. I prefer it to be much better than what I am paying for now which is nowhere near what it was 5 years ago.

Considering you have apparently only had this character since 2009 I would assume you are speaking either in generalities or from the experience of an unamed and unverified alt.  If you look at my entry dates you will see that I have been here since 2006 and have never seen sl this erratic over an extended period of time during the six years I have been here.  Yes, there have been some short term disasaters like the Linden created CopyBot Fiasco and several crashes of the database but these have been recovered from fairly quickly and growth continued.  This is not what is happening now and if you look at some of the sl metric sites, these are not sponsored by Linden Labs, because LL ceased giving out metric reports when the spin they were placing on them became so blatant that no one other than a few Linden cheerleaders supported or believed them, you will find two were interesting patterns. 

First, since the first of the year SL has become increasingly unstable and second over the same period median online numbers have declined by at least 30% and are still declining.  As for Iam's claims that ports are failing in a massive way I can testify from experience that is all but impossible to port in or out of a blue steel serever without crashing or having a port failure, and I routine resort to walking to the nearest adjoing sim and porting from there which seems to work if you can in fact leave the sim you are in without crashing due to the border crossing issue.  In addition teleports are made even worse tonight by the fact that many of the restarted areas are still being reported as down on the map, though again it is possible to port to the sim next to them and walk to them.  All of this speaks of a massive misallocation of resources in the core servers and an utter and complete failure on the part of Linden Labs to do anything about it.  Given the decline in online numbers there is a good chance that we now have more bots online than actual players and it this trend continues the population of long term serious players will all be vanish, if it has not already.  This can hardly be what LL wants to happen, and they need to take serious actions to correct this problem before they slip beyond the point of no return and seriously hope that point has not already been reached.  As for the source of the online numbers I will post that asap in a follow up post so you can all judge for yourselves.

Yes except the charts are logarithmic so the difference between 1.0 and 1.25 is not all that much (on the 28 day stability chart). And on the 6 month stability chart it shows almost no change/flat. It's not reflecting "the sky is falling" rhetoric. You shouldn't do % comparisons on log graphs. Concurrency is always a matter of argument but as long as the transactions keep up it's also not that big of a deal (fewer alts swapping the same L$). People come and people go. In fact even the "experimental charts" show a relatively flat SL both for concurrency and stability over the last year. That's remarkable in this world economy we have these days. And none of this relates back to the experience 5 years ago when things were pretty horrid;  we no longer sink into the ground, slide uncontrolably down slopes, have the entire grid offline for at least one day often 2 days each rolling restart, griefers don't routinely crash regions anymore, graphics are better, build tools are better, we don't run into as many bot farms or ad farms as we did 5 years ago either, and avatars have improved quite a bit. Of course people with old or underpowered computers are suffering, but that's technology marching forward. And I've never lost a single item from my inventory, but I keep it meticulously arranged and I don't have to search for things ... I know where they are. In my experience most lag people experience is related to people not restarting their sims when they get laggy or having their draw distance exceeding their system's capability.

Take a close look at concurancy over the last 365 days, those numbers are pretty unmistakable, and down about 30 %, if LL wants to dispute them I am sure we would all welcome them returning to reporting numbers online, but that is not likely to happen as it is easier to try to deny what is obvious than take responsibility for a distasteful reality.

lol.. You must be one of the 1%. Or you never visit the grid everyone else is using. With very little effort I can show you 3 or 4 dozen bot farms.

My equipment is top of the line and constantly updated. I use it to make my real life living so lets not go there with old outdated equipment as a reply. Surely LL sent you back with a better comment than that one.

come to think of it I just fell through a floor yesterday on a teleport. Then subsequently crash shortly thereafter.

I will agree graphics are better. Build tools are also better but even those now are never used by a lot of builders.

If you have never lost any inventory that's wonderful once again your probably in the 1% Again.

As far as keeping it in order to not have to search and insinuate people are slobs and do not categorize their inventory  is ridiculous. That is not the issue for losing it and assuming it is in inventory. One day you will rez something that is no copy and when it disappears for ever you will understand. But you have to actually spend time on the grid to do so of course.

When you rez a no copy item and it never rezzes. It never goes back to your inventory and knowing its correct name is not an issue cause your looking at the folder it actually came in..What is the cause of that problem? ohh let me guess. Its my viewer. My connection and now my old out dated equipment.

hmmm?

Yeah I will agree griefers do not routinely crash sims. Now they just release bugs into the entire grid which call for unplanned rolling restarts to correct the issue. As is what took place tonight.

I think this just about wraps up stability.

Last time I looked LL had not updated its computer requirments for serveral years, and that is a shame, because it leads a lot of people to take on SL with not enough system memory, find they are crashing constantly and leave.  Unfortunately, were LL to give an accurate requirment of the memory needed to run SL viewer they would have an embrassingly large number that reflects the huge memory leak from the central core serverss that drains everyone's memory constantly. By the way the function of the the viewer be they sl or third party viewers are only to show the visual data come from the core servers and when that data times out and is not sent the data is not shown and the rest of the procedure that is waiting for that data to arrive loops and begins to eat memory which gradually leads to the loss of memory in our computers, the creation of virtual memory and eventual crashes.  This in turn has been turned into the myth that the memory leak is in the viewers, particularly the third party viewers, when the truth is it comes for the core servers which are not sending out the information expected of them.  Ironically if you do a memory use analysis of the major servers you will find SL viewers use the largest amount of memory over time, followed by snowglobe based viewers then Phoenix which still is a memory hog.  Moreover the most memory efficient view I have seen is the non mesh based firestorm beta which is relatively stable and does a decent job as a second fall back viewer unlile sl v3 which is a memory hog.

As for graphic, yes they have gotten better but graphics cards in general have gotten better and this has absolutely nothing to do with Linden Labs, but rather with Nvidia and the rapidly growing game market in general that places constantly greater demands on video cards.  As for falling though the earth or a road you obviously have not tried to move from one sim to another via walking or driving or you would do it regularly.  Fact, is do you spend much time in SL at all or do you just prowl the forum, hiding behind a variety of alts and try to debuke the reality of the situation LL has created, and by the way this situation is nothing new, but is something that began as part of  the build up to the introduction to MONO which was going to be the great cure for all sls problems and instead has like Pandora's box unleashed a wave of woe that leaves nothing left but hope which sadly too is quickly vanishing.

Lydia, I've been trying to figure out what you mean by all that.

I am not seeing the horrors that you do, and I do not have a wonderful Internet connection. I am not crashing out, or getting bad teleports, or getting so many bad sim crossings that vehicles are useless.

I can't disagree with you about the way SL viewers need good hardware, and an up to date operating system. Are you doing something like still running Windows XP? I know I saw a big difference when I upgraded to Windows 7.

But no, you seem to be blaming it all on Linden Lab server software. It's not that they don't have some dreadful code, such as the way the Marketplace doesn't work since they bought it. But you're making an untestable accusation, concerning a fault which would surely affect all of us. And it doesn't.

(And if you want to complain about system requirements for software, remember that the Windows minimum is ridiculously low too.)

Lydia Craig  write :

As for graphic, yes they have gotten better but graphics cards in general have gotten better and this has absolutely nothing to do with Linden Labs, but rather with Nvidia and the rapidly growing game market in general that places constantly greater demands on video cards. 

A graphic card gives the opportunities and the ways to create better graphics . But it doesn t improve the graphics if the game doesn t request them. If the game doesn t call the new features of the graphic card , the graphic card won t take the responsability . Have you seen an old 199x game call the physX  and cudas  from your new GTX560 Nvidia card ? Surely you have bad interprated your observations .

A lot of computers are 64 bits CPU .. But the majorty of applications doesn t take profit for these 64 bits and work again to 32 bits . It s the same thing

A program built with an old compiler won t use the new instructions of a new CPU . It s the same thing

So you try to blame some people without proves and without rationnal argues  . 

• 3 years later...

I feel the same way, SL is absolutely awful, I never ever used to crash and now it is happening every 20 minutes on the game.

If they could just go back to where it was a couple of years ago that would be perfect.  This is worse than it was back in 2006.  .  I bought a new computer in December and it worked fine for a week or two then sl started the crashing again.  The last viewer 4.3 was fine just leave it there thank you.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3027 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.