Corset - A few questions

Spinell

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4366 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello builders. I've been folloing around with blender lately, watching a lot of good tutorials and I models, so I'm feeling confident to start making someclothing for SL.

I want to do a fancy corset so I researched up a SL avatar model and got to work.

When I got the parts I wanted to make the corset, I started modeling and sculpting until I realised one thing: I'm not sure how the "boob" area works. I'm not sure what size I should do the cleavage are of the corset; in real life, if you tighten up the corset after you put it on, you would get more cleavage. I wanted to get that effect: my corset is going to be a little tight around the waist to define it, so I wanted that, no matter what avatar shape you're using, when you on this corset you would get more cleavage and the boobs would be a little higher up.

Again, I'm still not too sure how mesh works with the SL avatar, so I'm having troble picturing how to make this work. Caouls I have a little help?

Thank you!

The way mesh attachments work at this time, wearing it can't affect any slider settings, so it can't affect the clevage or exposed breast area. You could, however, include a notecard indicating the sort of settings that work well for creating the effect you want. The wearer will also need to adjust their slider settings so their hips and bust match to what you design, and giving them those slider settings will help a lot.

The area of the avatar's body covered by the corset will be masked invisible by a worn avatar alpha mask (which you will need to create and provide), so their slider settings there won't matter, no matter 'how tight you lace it'. You'll probably want to fake the exposed skin behind the laces in back, since making that part line up right will be difficult.

All that said, a corset is actually a good project for mesh, since it is by definition supposed to enforce its shape on the wearer, and not adjust to the wearer's shape.

Thank you Ceera, you  helped clear up some of the questions I had.

I knew that you had to create the alpha layersto hide the torso portion of the avatar, so I wasn't too worried about making the corset a little tight. I was just unsure how the avatar sliders would affect my mesh in the boob area.

Including the slider values is, however, an excellent idea. I'll have to play around with the mesh in the SL testing grid to see if I can get the desired affect. As for the lacing on the back, don't worry, my design didn't include it. I'm making a dress in an Elizabeth II sort of style, so the entire corset is going be to decorated front and back, with no need for the straps.

thanks you very much for the advice! I'll keep working hard on it. ;)

I don't really know what I'm talking about, so take it with a grain of salt.  I think that there are semitransparent tattoo and clothing layers that one can wear that create the appearance of more cleavage through shadow effects.  Perhaps you could use something like that.  

I'm not sure how much you have followed mesh or whether you know about the Mesh Deformer. (See: #SL Lab’s Viewers Update Week 21) You can get a Mesh Deformer Project viewer and see how it works. There are also sample mesh items in Hippo Hollow (region) made to be used with the Deformer.

Mesh clothes in SL are not like RL clothes in that they can't squeeze the avatar into a shape. They follow the avatar's shape.

Ceera is partially right. Sliders that affect body 'fat' do not affect mesh clothes, unless one is using the Deformer. But, sliders that affect 'bones' will shape the mesh clothes. In other words, the height of the avatar affects the height of a dress.

Jennefer's idea to use a shading layer to fake pressed together cleavage is probably about the best solution. Lots of skin makers sell cleavage layers to work with various avatar settings. Look through some of the better skin shops to see what they are doing.

Haven't had much luck searching for the cleavage modifyers, althought I found some physics bundles I have yet to try. But they focus on booby bounce, which is the oposite of what I'm looking for... But I haven't looked around the pricy stores, yet. Still, if anyone has any suggestions or if you've seen something like this in your favourtite shops, post the link. ;)

As for the deforemer, that's anotehr question I had. I DID think that mesh could squeeze the avatar. Bone structure I get, since I've already rigged clothing in blender and I understand how the bone structure works and played aroun with it. But as for the "fleshy" part of the avatar, I thought that mesh could change it.

Never heard about the deformer, but I'll look into it. Is this was those BDSM content makers use to make those corsets you can tie up really tights? Because I've seen corsets for sale that actually DO squeeze your avatar; how are they doing that? I thought it was mesh clothing.

Thanks for all the help. I'm really earning a lot! ;)

Spinell wrote:

Because I've seen corsets for sale that actually DO squeeze your avatar; how are they doing that? I thought it was mesh clothing.

You haven't seen corsets doing that, for the simple reason it is not possible to adjust the avatar shape with a normal script or by any other normal tool other than the sliders which are only accessable by yourself. What you have seen is a corset that is much tighter than the avatar's waist in combination with an alpha mask that hides all the bits of the avatar that are sticking out. This way you can also make peglegs or things like that. The alpha simply hides a part of the avatar.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4366 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.