My Second Life wont start at all.

fabbe007

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4364 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Whenever i try to start my second life i get this half black half grey screen, i have tried to reinstall it and run as administrator but it won´t start. when i look in processes it says it is running. ive checked my computer stats and it should work. 

Help me please!

Hi fabbe007,

Is this the first time you've ever tried running the Second Life viewer, or was it once working? PC or Mac?

If it's the first time and you are on a PC, make sure you are running the latest and greatest graphics drivers.

If it was working before, it's possible that a cache or settings file got corrupted. A re-install might not fix that unless you delete the cache and settings folders. On a Mac you can find those in Library->Caches->Secondlife and Library->Application Support->SecondLife.

Any additional information you can provide will help us help you.

Hi and thanks for your fast response!

i have just installed SL. I run a PC, here is the specs.

Video card: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3470

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T8100 @ 2.10GHz
 Ram: 3.1 GB

Unfortunately, I'm out of my realm here, as I'm a Mac user. What I've gleaned from watching threads like this in the forum before is that graphics drivers are often the culprit when everything else on your PC works fine, but SL doesn't. So, as I recommended in my first post, it's probably worthwhile to make sure your graphics drivers are up to date.

Hopefully someone who knows what they're talking about will come along shortly with more/better ideas.

Good luck!

Check that your computer meets the System Requirements | Second Life.

I think the graphics card is the problem. I think ATI 5000 series are the minimum.

When you ask a tech question include information about your computer and viewer. If the viewer will at least show the login screen, get the info from the viewer's Help-About... and paste that into your post with your question. To add your info to an existing question use OPTIONS->EDIT. It’s in the upper right of your post.

The info from the viewer gives us all the driver versions we need to have an idea of what is happening.

If you can't run the viewer at all, use a command line prompt or Start->Run to run dxdiag. That should give you the ATI driver version. The OpenGL version is important too.

This type of failure is common for a system with inadiquit video card. Since the machine has Windows Business, it would be reasonable for it to have a very low end graphics card.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4364 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.