Help on renting

redxrob

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4369 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Can you rent flat/apartments out so whats say I had a builing and it had 5 floors on each floor theres 4 flat/apartments to rent so all together there is 20 flat/apartments on one lot is there any way of doing somthing like that?.

I know a guy who owns some apartment buildings ... I have never seen any of those rented out. Even total n00bs refuse to rent apartments for various reasons. Not only the lack of privacy but also the fact that you can't even change the radio or media in an apartment. Everything stacked up is on the same parcel and therefore shares audio and media streams. Add to that the fugly, unappealing sight of apartment blocks in general and see your investment going down the drain.

Land is cheap as never before, we have an abundance of land in SL and less and less residents. There is simply no need to stack people up on top of each other.

There are systems out there that will let people listen or view private streams on the same parcel. I have no technical insight to how it works other then it plays on the media stream of each viewer and that it does work (I use a system like that where skyboxes are above parks on ground where I prefere music to fit the scenery). You can even share stream with someone else to listen to the same thing. But it is a bit more work then having media rights on your own parcel.

But for a high rise or apartment building the privacy would be a bit of a problem problem. I'd say if you were to make a roleplay community where people live close togheter you could do attached houses where each living quarters has their own parcel. This way they can turn on "hide avatar" and have their own security orb which doesn't scan outside of parcel. When it comes to privacy only distance works when you stack on top of each other and then many still wouldn't rent.

As other said apartments are a bad idea as there just is no demand for them.due to a lack of privacy.  Having privacy is the main reason people rent homes.  However you can acheive a similiar result by stacking skyboxes in layers. You can then use the ground for other purposes or landscape it nicely and put a clubhouse, pool and or beach there have a for your tenants to use for socializing.

Make each skybox at least 50m from the next one for privacy (100 would be even better) and use a shared media system rather than a parcel media system for radio and tv so each home can have its own music etc.  I would suggest at least 300m from the ground if you want to be a good neighbors so you are not trashing up the views of other people on the ground.  You can stack them one on top of each other up to 4000meters. So if you put them in blocks of space of 100m with the first one at 300M,  you may get up to 37 skyboxes stacked up with no problem.  The actual number would depend on how many prims you have to support the skyboxes and, furnishings with enough prims left over to give tenants extra for their personal use.

Unless you own the sim as the estate owner, before launching on this venture, for restrictions on how high the first box must be (some places require that skyboxes be at least 500M up) and if there is a limit on how many units you can have. 

Seen plenty apartment complexes, skybox stacks, etc. while wandering mainland and none of them seemed to have more then one or two units rented out.  With how easy and cheap it is to put a freebie house or skybox on or over your tier free 512 parcel of land I can't see any appeal of sharing a parcel and its resources (such as prims) with other renters.  I've seen apartment buildings that were actually just empty facades except for the luxury penthouse on top that looked interesting.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4369 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.