Region Idling coming to Second Life

Simon Linden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4307 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I would normally totally agree that we all have a duty to save electricity, this is something special:

In Second Life Sim owners pay astronomical fees for a sim. Yes it is that much, that you can buy THREE of your own HP quadcore server blades on ebay per month from the monthly fee, you can buy more than 10 server blades from the setup-fee! Or you can rent at least 30 linux root servers from services like 'rackspace hosting' from the same monthly amount!

My **** you can buy a whole datacenter on ebay with the annual fees!!!

I think with this high (?) standards (?) and pricing, nobody consents to pay for an idling sim. And it does NOT matter whether it affects running scripts or NPCs or anything else in the sim, or not. It is just that we pay unbelievable astronomical high prices for this service so it is our god-given right to act lavish with these resources that we are paying for!

No excuse, no sympathy. NO, no no!

ETA: As far as I can remember from previous office hours (in pre-region-idling times), we were told that the processing power of an empty sim is minimal. So  I don't really understand any of the lines of arguments here.

Sorry MartinRJ, I do not agree. Your logic is the same as saying "I paid full price for that refrigerator and the light bulb, so I want the light to stay on when I close the door!".

This is not about saving money due to decreased electricity use. The saving of electricity is actually only a fringe benefit. The real benefit is freeing up otherwise wasted CPU clock cycles so that they can be used by other processes running on the server (including the other simulators the server is hosting, maybe even the one hosting the region you are currently in).

In other words, you will never notice the idling of your region (because it can't idle if you are in it), but you might notice less lag when visiting other regions.

Two wrongs do not make a right. If the fees we pay are so high they fall into the "that is just plain wrong" category, then demanding that unused clock cycles *not* be used by some other process just because prices are too high is just plain wrong also.

From what I can tell, the sims I live on must be constantly losing cpu cycles and never get them back. It's the only explanation I have for the horrid lag, failure to rez issues and failed inventory calls for changing avatars and copying items in my inventory. They need to better fine tune this soon because it is getting out oif hand how BAD SL is right now.

If you want to make a formal complaint, and submit Region Idling as the cause, submit a Jira. include the region name, the server version information, and as much information as you can offer regarding the cause, time of problem, and symptoms. If Region Idling is the cause, I think they'd want to know about it.

I haven't checked release notes, but based on all of the rollouts that have been going on, I suspect not only is Region Idling NOT enabled, but the server version that even has that code has been rolled back. So you may want to double check your facts before you start pointing fingers.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm trying to think of a script that could be so badly written as to be adversly affected by this change. The only thing I can think of would be having something depend on the *number* of timer events that occur, and having the timer be extremely short. Is there anything else that could be affected? What sort of scripting gotchas should we be looking out for?

Also. No one said what affect this will have on keyframe motion. Can someone answer that? I've had a bouncing ball that has started to stop occationally when i'm out of the region. Could this be from region idling?

Finally, is there a way to force region idling? Some debug setting we can do in the region debug console maybe? It sure would be nice to be able to force idling to test scripts and builds.

• 1 month later...

Dear Kayleigh,

Your breedables run on timer based scripts with regard to their Love- fervour - Hunger and All that Kinda stuff.

I am somewhat of a person what is technical but does not Speak technical. so it basically Like yer egg timer. It runs in real time and Should not affect Your Breedables

Hopefully I am Right in this Respect as I have not seen ANY replies from the LIndens to Anyone asking this Question regarding their breedables

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4307 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.