item explode on remote trigger

Dirtnap Mumfuzz

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4373 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I wasn't sure if I should start with this question here, or the other scripting forum.

Can anyone please point me in the right direction for finding a setup that will allow the detonation of an item using a remote detonator? i.e. one item that goes BOOM, and another used as a handheld triggering device.

I haven't found anything in the forums, though I have seen plenty of examples of the concept in application.

Thanks in advance for any feedback or assistance.

I think I am looking to see if something exists that can be shared or exchanged, as per the forum heading, but I am not too picky; I'll happily explore that option, or either of the two you suggest.

If the post is in the wrong spot, hopefully a moderamicator will relocate me to the right place.

If the two items are on the same sim, the esiest way to do it is to use communication.

If you (not you, really, but the triggering script - the sender) know the receiving items key, llRegionSayTo would seem the best option to me. If you don't know it, you would have to use llSay, llWhisper or llRegionSay depending on the distance.

On the receiving side, you listen to a channel for a message by opening a listener.

If you look at the wiki entries, you will have many examples of how objects communicate

Matu wrote:

As darkie said, there are several ways to do this, even if you arent in the same simulator. However, to make an object explode, you must grant permissions to the object to link/unlink wich cant be done automatically, you have to confirm when a popup appears.

Unless you are talking about making a particle explosion, of course.  In that case, you don't need to unlink anything.  Just use llParticleSystem

no need to unlink if you want to make it look like bits of the object flying off have it rez temp parts or have them die after a certain time with a particle too would look great. llRegionSay from a hud button or what ever on a BIG negative channel then have the exploding object listen for that channel and the message so,

from the button

llRegionSay(-123456,"kaboom");

and in the listen event of exploding thing

if (channel == -123456)

if (message == "kaboom")

{do your stuff}

enjoy blowing stuff up :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4373 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.