On-line Privacy

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4370 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I love my friends, I really do, BUT there are days when I want to go inworld and build without dozens of IM's and random friends TPing to me (they know where I build so tp there on the chance of me being there)  Right now I have some scripts I REALLY want to tryout in world, but I know if I uncheck the little "see if on-line" box I'll be hit with an ungodly number of IMs wanting to know why, and threats of defriending for not being trusting enough."  LL really needs to fix this issues by making the default status as off line and an opt-in option if you want people to know if you're on line or not (friend, group, neither, or all)

Jennifer Boyle wrote:

People have been asking for this for years.  For whatever reason LL won't do it.

There was an old thread about this topic I can no longer find.

People like to compare the logging in to instant message services like Yahoo or MSN but when you log in to those you are logging into a very simple service.

When you log into SL a lot more switches have to be tripped.  The asset server needs to be notified. The region you are connecting to needs to know you are connecting.  There are the groups you belong to.  Your Friends. Offline purchases on the Market need to be delivered.  There are a multitude of things that need to be told that "Jennifer is here now" and they have to work smoothly in tandem or things get messed up really fast.

I am not saying it can't be done, but the complexity of it is more than meets the eyes.

It would be nice to have the option but at least for me personally I never mark myself offline to anyone. 

Innula Zenovka wrote:

There are several
jira
suggestions about this, for example
 and
.  It is more complicated than at first it might seem, certainly. 

There are also some related suggestions about "privacy zones," e.g.
 and

The more I understand about how it all works the more patient I am though it's still hard not to get frustrated at times.

If the friends list was or is on a circuit of its own and nothing else depended on it I would think it would be easy to do the log in offline.  But if there are other circuits connected or dependent upon it, then they all have to be rerouted.  It's a domino effect.

Given the complexity and the current limits on scalability it is amazing that it works as good as it does.

SCALING VIRTUAL WORLDS: SIMULATION REQUIREMENTS AND CHALLENGES

and

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Service_Disruptions

Perrie Juran wrote:

Given the complexity and the current limits on scalability it is amazing that it works as good as it does.

Absolutely!  I have said something similar in a couple of other posts.  Things aren't entirely LL's fault.  Unfortunatey I think all the layers of add-ons, patches, fixes and circuits, as you put it, is now beyond their ability to maintain.  That's why I say it's collapsing under its own weight.  The rate of failure is now higher than the rate of repair.

[Which doesn't mean the sky is falling, or even that the skyscraper is falling, just that this particular skyscraper can't go any higher without serious rebuilding]

PeterCanessa Oh wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

Absolutely!  I have said something similar in a couple of other posts.  Things aren't
entirely
 LL's fault.  Unfortunatey I think all the layers of add-ons, patches, fixes and circuits, as you put it, is now beyond their ability to maintain.  That's why I say it's collapsing under its own weight.  The rate of failure is now higher than the rate of repair.

[Which doesn't mean the sky is falling, or even that the skyscraper is falling, just that this particular skyscraper can't go any higher without serious rebuilding]

Agreed that there are a few things out side of their control like the quality of someones internet connection.

And it would be great if every user could afford this desk top, (/me drools) 

http://www.digitalstormonline.com/comploadaventum.asp?id=674559

But there is still a lot under their control. 

Agreed back again (is this our longest rally?)

While things aren't entirely LL's fault they are substantially theirs for letting things get in this state by always building and never making sure the foundations were secure (to continue the analogy).

Nice computer but desktops are dying according to another thread.  Anyway, I bet it would have trouble running SL. [Come on, you just KNOW there would be some problem making it incompatible 'out of the box'.  Upgrade drivers, disable SLi, do not exposure to moisture, etc.]

PeterCanessa Oh wrote:

Agreed back again (is this our longest rally?)

While things aren't
entirely
 LL's fault they are substantially theirs for letting things get in this state by always building and never making sure the foundations were secure (to continue the analogy).

Nice computer but desktops are dying according to another thread.  Anyway, I bet it would have trouble running SL. [Come on, you just KNOW there would be some problem making it incompatible 'out of the box'.  Upgrade drivers, disable SLi, do not exposure to moisture, etc.]

I saw the desk tops are dieing thread.  My lap top cost twice of what my desk top did and is still only half as powerful.  So for home use I'll stick with my desk top.

I had asked Torley the other day on the Slum what he was currently using.  He had purchased  his computer from that site almost two years ago.  I was poking around and saw that machine.

https://my.secondlife.com/torley.linden/posts/4fb13631aca4c90001002f0a

It would be a b*tch to get it and find out that SL wouldn't run on it!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4370 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.