Is NoCopy NoModify NoTransfer ethical? Is it allowed by TOS?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4436 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

If a company is selling something that is fairly expensive, say 4000L plus the object charges a percentage fee for every transaction, is it ethical for the object to be rendered nocopy, nomodify and notransfer?  And since the objects communicate with an off-world server, their functionality can be modified by the company outside of the owners control.

Is this ethical?  If you were a landowner, would you invest in such an object based on the promise of increased traffic?  What if it doesn't deliver on that promise.  You can't sell it because its no tranferable.  Does this seem fair?

Inquiring minds want to know!

Rag Doll

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dont know about this product exactly but quite often stuff when rezzed will have nocopy and notrans set

example:

a person makes a animation. sets perms to nocopy trans

is set this way so that if you use in your own product you have to buy multiple copies of the animation. one for each copy of the thing you are selling

person buys the animation and puts in their own prim thingy. and sets their thingy to: copy notrans

when is rezzed then viewer says is: notrans and nocopy

if you take the anims out of the thingy then the thingy shows: copy notrans. the anim is: nocopy trans. which is how the 2 different creators set them originally

so if the thing is set this way and is of no use to you anymore then can rip it apart. and maybe can use the anim or whatever else is inside for other things

It is up to the buyer to determine what the permissions are and decide whether he wants to make the purchase or not. It has nothing to do with "fairness" but the free market in which sellers put things up for sale and buyers choose what they want to buy. No one is forced to buy anything here.

@16  True.  But there's a difference to the end user of objects mixed parts together and creating a nocopy, notrans item vs the product coming directly from a company rigged to be nocopy, notrans.  Even worse if they are actually changing functionality of the product over time and not allowing people to sell to product when the functionality no longer matches what they bought the product for and have no way to sell out.   And please understand, this is actually a group of interconnected products that often cost land owners 10s of thousands of lindens in investment.

Rag Doll

It's really very difficult to make any determination in this thread without knowing what the products is.

And how does the creator/distributor of this 'product' change the functionality over time?  Do you mean via updates?  Am unsure about anyone having the ability to change the functionality of an item in my inventory other than by sending me an updated version.  Am I offbase here?

no not via updates but by changes to the server that the products use, often without warning and several times causing the products to stop working without so much as a "I'm sorry" instead LL gets blamed for the fault in function.

It's not competition bashing, as that only works if you where to be selling competing items.

The company in question would claim defamation if we where to name the product line and company name and we don't want to defame we want truthful answers.

I can't make sense of what this is about, either, particularly since we don't know what the damn thing is.

Presumably the OP knew the perms were, and that the fact the item communicates with a server, at the time of purchase, so I don't really see anything unethical about the transaction, unless the OP is saying the vendor materially misrepresented something.

Unfortunately the product in question can't be mention here or Links provided as its against TOS,  but its sold on the Marketplace as a Traffic Aid and cost between L$3000 to L$5000 each, The person that controls the Sever for said product can easily disable the object to render it useless and not work or attract people that want to earn Lindens using it, if the creator gets upset and bans you from their servers. There is also something they call a Tax that is also high.

On the other side of the Coin (pardon the pun)  the creator of this system also makes and sells objects that  end users can use a in places that has the object in question above,  and the creator also sells his object to the end user promising they will get higher value payouts from the above object. sorry, have to dance around this to explain it better.

This person or creator has a large group of over 5000+ people and if you say something they don't like against their products you get banned and the product which you paid L$3000 or more becomes a door stop.

Britney Heat

And your panties are all wadded up over $15.00 USD?  You purchased something thinking it would make you money and find it it just makes the seller money?   Do you realize how often that happens in real life?

Take the item and put it at the bottom of your front door...........ain't it a pretty door stop?  Welcome to the world of how things work.  You're dancing but it won't get you anything but tired.  It's not against any ToS.  Just like a land owner can rent you a piece of property and promptly ban you.......that happens too.  :)

Have fun with your crusade........it may make you feel better but it won't fix a thing.

IMO it is not about 'ethics' in any way.

As long as the permissions are known before purchase, it is a decision you can make as a buyer.

You can also IM the seller before purchase and see how he/she handles your concerns, for example if he/she would send you another copy if something goes wrong.

Myself, I just don't purchase things I don't feel good about and also test the sellers response/availability before I purchase an expenisve item.

So to answer your question, it has notihing to do with ethics and is allowed by TOS, greetings :)

Thanks.  It begins to make a bit more sense now, I guess.

So it would seem that the OP's complaint is primarily about  the creator's business practices and that the perms only really come into it because if someone buys one of these things and it turns out to be a bit of a white elephant, then it's impossible to mitigate the loss by finding someone else to saddle with it.

"...

So it would seem that the OP's complaint is primarily about  the creator's business practices and that the perms only really come into it because if someone buys one of these things and it turns out to be a bit of a white elephant, then it's impossible to mitigate the loss by finding someone else to saddle with it."

----------------------------------------------------

Bingo..............give the girl a lollypop.:) :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4436 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.