Q about the new "Can't see folks' true online status anymore" change to viewers

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4427 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I know how the check boxes work (or used to work) and how you can see someone's online status if you share group with them or yadda blah - but I'm wondering about the Friend List/Status that shows up on the left side of your screen here when you come to the website. 

If Joe Blow has his little thing unchecked to 'hide' from you while online via his viewer, will this online status shown on the site list reflect that or will it out his true status?

Just realized this today and got curious...anyone know?

Actually, I think they will not appear on your list at all.  If they have unchecked that 'show online' box, they will be hiding and their true online status (online or offline) will not be available and it will be as if they are not on your friends list at all.

ETA:  Perrie, I believe that if they change the status while you both are online (meaning inworld), the person will suddenly appear as if they are just logging in.

It is possible these things have changed in the past 2+ years.  I used to have someone on my friends list who was a nut case and did crap like this.

Qwalyphi Korpov wrote:

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

Venus is right about them not showing on your web friends list at all on the dashboard.  I tested it.  In world though they just show as offline.

I know one of the 'privacy' issues with TPV was providing correct online status contrary to a residents wishes.  I thought an additional issue was revealing to users how their friends had set that option.  So this is a surprising twist.  LL is now signaling which friends have elected not to let you see their online status by dropping them from you dashboard friends list.

This situation (someone on friends list not showing up on the dashboard if they have one's name unchecked for show online) has been in existence for at least a year.  I discovered hiding "boyfriends" that way - who quickly became ex-boyfriends. ;)

Yep tested and seeing the same. They drop off your dashboard but...only updated with a relog, page refresh (unless theres a major delay) doesn't reflect any changes (ie person rechecks the show online box, at least using singularity).

Very odd.

I had tested before posting but have now retested.

Had a friend mark off line for me.

The behavior was not consistent.

A couple of times they simply appeared off line on the dash board.

A couple of times their name disappeared. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4427 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.