How do I figure out how many prims I am carrying.

Rufferta

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4387 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I've been noticing more lag lately, and am wondering if there is any way to measure my "prim" footprint to make sure that I am not the cause. . Could it be the three houses I'm carrying in inventory? I don't want to walk around with a bald head, but would a generic avatar be better for sightseeing?

4 answers to this question

The number of items in your inventory can cause some lag issues but not the prim counts of those items. You are not actually carrying around all those prims.  You are carrying around an inventory list that points to those items on the inventory servers.  So just checking your inventory item count is all you need to do.

Now the prims and scripts that you are wearing can have a much greater impact on lag.  To check your script count go to World - About Land and click on the Script Info button in the General tab window.  Then click on My Avatar.  That will tell you how many scripts you are carrying around and what server memory they require to run.

Your "draw weight" tells you how much impact your avatar is having on the viewers ability to render you.  You can turn that on at Advanced - Performance Tools - Show Draw Weight.  The numbers are colored green, yellow and red which indicates good, marginal and poor rendering.  Removing high prim count items like prim hair will lower the draw weight number.

--Cinn

• Like 1

i know as for checking a prims count on an object you can find it in the edit menu. but for a avatar you have to look for a land impact bar under your avatar or something. maybe try to edit your avatar and look around the windows there to see what happens. i doubt it will work but it may have something.

Generally, you don't need to resort to walking around bald and primless unless you're in an extremely populated area. Some of the fairs are like this, and there's always at least one idiot walking around with full prim long hair, a prim skirt, prim scripted shoes, a pet...the works. Generally, though, unless you're surrounded by 50 other people and lagging like crazy, you should be okay. If you're really lagging and you want to be able to move faster, try wearing system clothing and short hair. (Generally speaking, the longer the hair, the more prims it has, so shorter hair is better in terms of lag.)

You can also try taking off any scripted items you're wearing. Most shoes, for instance, have a resizer script at least - they say these are low lag, but it doesn't hurt to remove it from the shoes if you can. (Make a copy first!!) Same with prim skirts, tops, etc. HUD's also have scripts that will affect your lag, so you can remove some of those for wandering purposes.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4387 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.