Welcome.Orientation.. Re-visited.Policy??

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4392 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Was just about 2 years ago I posted on Forums about Second Life's Welcome, Orientation area. Everyone can find these Landmarks.They are permanently listed in your Library. Recently there was a discussion and a change of TOS about Viewer preferences and ones ability to "SEE" which viewer one is using. I watched OZ Linden say that after review that this feature was creating a problem since some felt they were being harassed and this feature contributed to a tension in SL. Well OZ I think you need to visit your SPECIFIED landmarks that are called Welcome and Orientation. If ever there is a "feature" that creates tension I would place these right at the top. Just exactly what are these areas for? What purpose do they serve? Is it to bring SL's best face to the Newcomer arriving? To "Orient" in the ways that one should interact with their fellow Avatars? What I see is A Retirement home for old  avatars. In my recent visits I see absolutely nothing has changed as to these areas. They are neglected hangouts that are rallying places for those who enjoy harassing and creating tension. Did you wonder why Linden now gives "paid" members their own sandboxes ? At least that was a start. Linden next time you remove a feature from a fantastic viewer please....Go look in your OWN backyard if you want to "help" those here in SL not get "upset" over the fact that they might get someone questioning their choice of viewers. I think its time LInden give an area that shows the best sides of what CAN be created in SL. Clean up your Welcome areas... Make Orientation just that. Has been 2 years and ,as I thought ,Linden has not changed this. But over the last 2 years they have changed "some" things. One wonders.. Is SL a place where one has to fend for themselves. Stand up for themselves. Or if they do not like ..Just TP away... or ticket or whatever! Not according to OZ Linden ...No sir! .. we just make it so all can not see which viewer..POOF and its done. Thank you OZ for helping take the tension away of one having to DEFEND ones choice of viewers !!) ... hey can you help one at Welcome area... What's that... Just don't go there... Submit a ticket.... LIGHTEN up.. its just SL... ohhh sorry to bother you) Will check back in another two years.

You are referring to Infohubs, not Orientation areas.

You should make a new alt and see the newest approach LL has devised for entering Second Life.  It bypasses those awful Infohubs, but that is about the only good thing I can think of to say about it.  For more, see my blog post,

http://acrossthegridwithlindal.blogspot.com/2012/03/are-you-new-to-second-life-and-confused.html

As for removing the viewer ID feature...I miss it, right along with you.  However, the head of the Phoenix team (to prove Oz Linden wrong) visited a number of infohubs, and was very surprised to find that Oz was right...people were harassing her because of her viewer choice.  If it cuts down on harassment, hiding the viewer ID is a small price to pay.

I had a lot of trouble following your post. What are you upset about - explain it in a few sentences?

Hubs are not good places to hang out in, in general. They are for people who for whatever reason have not explored Second Life beyond there yet, or don't want to, or don't like to. They are for people who see Second Life as a voice chat program. Because hubs often have a fair amount of avatars in them, they serve some people's purpose which is just to hang out and chat, or annoy others, as the case might be.

Just leave the hub, it's that simple.

Back in the early days Welcome Centers were staffed by SL Mentors, who were experienced residents that volunteered to welcome new people and help them.  You had to be accepted into the program, and I believe there was a bit of training involved in it too.  LL discontinued the program a long while back, probably before your rez date.  The landmarks are in the library for areas like Ahern, probably because they always have been . Most of the orientation and welcome centers that LL used, but no longer does, are still around as sort of historic places, just like you can go see the Governors Mansion in SL, which was the first luxury house in SL and was built for Governor Linden.  At the time it was considered the height of luxury chic,but you probably couldn't rent it for 1L a month to a newb anymore.  Still its interesting to see how far SL has come since those days.  It has a museum in the basement of other early milestones and things.  If your interested in SL history its worth going to see.  It also makes you appreciate a bit more how far we've come.

Thanks for info Lindal : )  Since I have not created a new account in sometime did not realize Linden had "upgraded" their entry into this world. I enjoyed your blog on what happens now. To clear up a bit of my rambling I refer everyone to Library>Landmarks in ones viewer. There will find 3 LMs. To understand what I was trying to get at please click on each one and go visit these locations.Then ask what are these for? Why are they there? Then ask "Do these Linden areas really add to the SL experience in a positive way?" Much like OZ pointed out in his talk when Linden sees something that deters from the group experience in SL then it should be looked at. OF course he was referring to Viewers... But I ask.. Why just Viewers??

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4392 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.