What does it mean when my mesh does this?

Erika Celt

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4396 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

http://gyazo.com/4e3edbc804ec09b46ca9a2d51b43cd52.png?1334958477

This is a mesh top I made in zbrush. When I tested the rig in blender and move around the skeleton in pose mode, it does this thing where some parts of the mesh sticks out whenever I move it. I also tried importing both dae file and obj file and they both have the same result.

What am I doing wrong and how am I able to fix this? Is it because I'm using zbrush?

Thanks!

You have some random vertex weighting going on. Hide the body (so to speak) so you can see what's going on and then move every bone in the armature independently while watching to see what moves. For some reason in Blender I often get random weighting to the "eye bones" or to the arms on the opposite side of the model. You can go through the armature completely de-selecting any weighting to bones that shouldn't be involved at all (foot bones to a tank top, for instance), then make sure you're only weighting to the bones required.

• Like 1

Erika Celt wrote:

Thank you! Yes! That worked! The only bad part now is that I keep getting an error whenever I try to upload it into SL.

The error says: Material of model is not subset of reference model.

Does that mean my file is too big?

No. It is telling you that there is a texture issue with the model. It could be your physics shape.

"It could be your physics shape."

That depends on the viewer. There was a bug that required the physics shape to have material(s) that were a subset of the materials of the high-LOD visual mesh, but that is fixed in the latest official veiwers. Now it is only the lower LOD visual meshes that have this requirement.  However, there are problems with using subsets (error messages and textures use on LOD switches) that mean it is advisable to use all high LOD textures at all the lower LODs until they are fixed.

• Like 1

I'm assuming you used automatic weights or weight copying? The spiky points are surely unweighted or inconsistently weighted vertices. I would recommend that you do some retopology on that Zbrush model. From the picture, it seems to have a large amount of polygons. If you retopoplogize it, you'd get a better polycount, and it will be less difficult to weight paint the dress properly. The other side benefit is that the lower the polygons the easier it is to fix weighting problems in the model.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4396 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.