ive deleted second life and reinstalled but it still says it cant initialize properly what to do?

dyrdekfan

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4440 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

so i was having issues with my second life before that my character wouldnt load so i deleted the second life to try to make it work again but once i deleted everything from it it still says it failed to initialize properly and i dont understand what i should do?

3 answers to this question

It's late to tell you this now, but you almost certainly didn't need to delete your viewer just because your "character" (your Avatar) wouldn't load.  That's a common enough problem that everyone has it at one time or another.  If it ever happens again, see >>> http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/fs_bake_fail

Now... chances are prertty good that you messed up one or more of your user settings files when you reinstalled the viewer.  If you simply remove the viewer's EXE file (or even its entire folder) from your hard drive, the settings files will still be there.  Usually that's a good thing, because it means that you don't have to reset all your Preferences every time you upgrade the viewer.  It those files are borked, though, you're just inheriting borked data when you reinstall.  So do a "Clean Reinstall".   See here >>> http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/fs_clean_reinstall  for how to do it. While you're at it, read what Nalates has to see about doing a clean reinstall too >>> http://blog.nalates.net/2011/02/22/second-life-clean-install/

• Like 2

I see this is your first forum post. That usually indicates a new user. So... welcome to SL.

As you are new, I recommend you avoid TPV's until you are framilar with SL and how it works. The avatar problem cannot be fixed by reinstalling in 99% of the cases.

I consider TPV's power user toys... and I mean 'toys' in a positive fun way.

Rolig links you to the clean install instructions at LL and my blog. You need to remove all the hidden files and clean things up. Then reinstall.

Before trying that... reboot the computer and try the viewer again. When it fails, it can leave parts running that block future viewer starts. A computer restart clears that mess.

Also, when you ask a tech question include information about your computer. If the viewer will at least show the login screen, get the info from the viewer's Help-About... and paste that into your post with your question. To add your info to an existing question use OPTIONS->EDIT. It’s in the upper right of your post.

At the very least we need to know your compuer's operating system; Windows/Mac?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4440 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.