Second Life lags on Alienware M14x

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4019 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Second Life runs very slowly, even with the graphics on low. The chat doesn't lag, but the actual game does. I use an Alienware M14x laptop. Processor: Intel Core i5-2430 CPU @ 2.40Hz (4 CPUs), Memory: 4096 MB RAM, DirectX Version: DirectX 11,Second Life FPS: 21.2 when away from users.

7 answers to this question

When you ask a tech question include information about your computer. Get the info from the viewer's Help-About... and paste that into your post with your question. To add your info to an existing question use OPTIONS->EDIT. It’s in the upper right of your post.

You don't say what the graphics processor is. You don't say if it is laptop...

Don't expect SL to perform like other games. Most games run on DirectX. SL runs on OpenGL and is supporting older machines running OpenGL 2.0. So, it tends to be slower by 60%.

You don't say what type of performance you are getting. Getting 15 to 30 FPS is common for SL right now. To get stats from the viewer press Ctrl-Shift-1 to open Viewer Statistics.

• Like 1

The Alienware laptops including the M14X use Nvidia Optimus to switch the graphics from normal to gaming mode and this has cause endless problems with Second Life users as it doesn't always work so only the basic graphics are in use instead of the full power of the Nvidia GT555M.

Here is the search list from Answers. Have a read through these and hopefully you will find a solution that helps you.

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?filter=location&location=category%3AAnswers&q=nvidia+optimus

I would suggest you also use Google.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4019 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.