is there a way to force the default avatar (aka "ruth") on login?

Corinne Helendale

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4229 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Something has gone wrong after a crash, and now I cannot log in with my avatar. I think maybe my clothing is "corrupted." Is there a way to force the default avatar on login?

I've reset cache, reinstalled, restarted computer and router, tried different viewers, and anything else I could think of. Nothing seems to work. The rest of the internet seems fine. Any ideas?

Thanks for your responses! Additional information: I haven't joined any new groups lately - and turning off the group display did not change anything. I crash during the "loading world" portion, though sometimes - rarely - it gets to the "downloading clothing" part.

The last time I was on, I was trying to remove shoes, and replace them with other shoes. I ended up wearing a box, and a hud (on my hand) and decided to just log and make a clean start. I cleared out my cache, restarted, and crashed. I now crash every time I attempt to log in.  I think there is somethig corrupted in my worn inventory, which is why I'd like to log in as "Ruth," but I don't know how. Any ideas would be appreciated :))

Nyil, thank you! As I don't have a PC, I was unable to try all that cleanup stuff; ***but*** I DID have an old Phoenix in my apps folder... and with that I was able to log in with no problem, stripped off all my wearables, and am back to normal!! Thank you so much :)

CH

8 answers to this question

Hello Corinne!

Have you joined any groups lately that have non-usual symbols in their name? There's been an influx of users unable to connect to SL until their character has been forcibly removed from that group by a LL employee. So if all else fails, open a support ticket or try in live chat.

For future reference, logging out won't give you a clean start. You'll log back in wearing what you were wearing when you logged out. (Sometimes if you crash in the middle of changing outfits, or shortly after changing, you will be wearing the outfit you had on before you changed, but this is an exception.)

Have you tried logging in to another region, such as Smith or Pooley? Since you're crashing during "loading world" and not usually during "downloading clothing," I wonder if that's part of the problem -the region you were in might be down, or crowded, or lag-heavy, etc.

I don't know how to log in as Ruth, myself; I don't know if it's possible. If trying a different region doesn't work, you can try contacting support; but for an issue like this, you may have to be  a Premium member to get decent help, since LL provides only very limited support to basic members.

I don't know any way to force the default avatar on login.

I think there are probably a number of reasons why the login process could stop at 'loading world' as many suggested solutions. It's interesting that you get to 'downloading clothing' at times before the viewer crashes.

That suggests there is an issue with a wearable item similar to that mentioned by Nyx Linden in this 2010 Jira.

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/SNOW-704?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels%3Aall-tabpanel

Have you an alt and can that alt login normally? That would at least eliminate network and firewall issues. If no alt, create one and see.

One resident where login froze at loading world managed to login with the older 1.23.5 viewer, deactivated gestures as he had to many, and could then login with V2 normally after that. I'm not sure if you the old viewer 1.23.5 is still available, I don't think so, but the old Phoenix viewer would be ok to try as well as it's based on the older code. Did you try it?

Some residents experienced issues where login froze at loading world that were traced to graphics card drivers. I doubt this applies to you but maybe reinstall your graphics card driver to eliminate it.

I know you cleared cache but in this instance I suggest you uninstall normally then manually remove the hidden Second Life folders in AppData.

Enable Hidden Files & Folders:

1) Open Control Panel
2) Open “Folder Options”
3) Open the “View” tab
4) Check “Show hidden files, folders, and drives”

Press OK and close control panel.

Accessing AppData:

Browse to the path below that corresponds to your operating system:

Windows XP - C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\

Windows Vista - C:\Users\<username>\AppData\

Windows Vista Home Premium - C:\Users\<username>\AppData\

Windows 7 - C:\Users\<username>\AppData\ 

Inside the AppData folder:

1) Open the Local folder and delete the entire Second Life folder.

2) Go back one level to the AppData folder.

3) Open the Roaming folder and delete the entire Second Life folder. If you wish to save existing chat files you've had with other avatars, move the Roaming > [avatar name] folder elsewhere on your computer and drag any chat text files you wish to retain into the new Roaming > [avatar name] folder once Second Life is reinstalled and you've logged in at least once. Ignore if you don't want to save any.

4) Open Local Disk C: > Windows > Prefetch and delete the Second Life prefetch file if not removed by the Uninstall.

5) Download and Install CCleaner (free program) > when installed, click Registry icon on left side > untick all boxes then tick Obsolete Software > click Analyze > untick everything that shows up apart from any Second Life entries (if no SL entries appear, that's good, do nothing and just exit > if any SL items show up, click Fix selected issues and CCleaner will remove them. It will offer you a chance to back up your registery before removing them although as you're only removing obsolete SL entries, there is no risk.

6) Restart your computer.

Now download a fresh copy of Second Life and install it. Change your login location to a Linden sim such as Smith and try again.

If still in trouble, you will need Premium membership to get Linden Lab help but what you could do is open a Jira. Explain the problem you're experiencing and list all you've tried.

• Like 1

if your shape is taking forever to load you can make a folder and place a skin, a shape , pants and shirt then use "replace" and it will force your av to load.  

In advanced menu: ctrl alt d > character> character test> test female(or male) and poof! You are new again

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4229 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.