Beta grid anomaly

Spinell

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3640 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

This has to do with mesh, sort of, so I think I can post this here. Please as you see fit.

Anyways, I was using the beta grid to test some meshes I was working on in blender. I was just zooming in to observe a detail on the mesh when, out of nowhere, everything got distorted and stretched. The two meshes I was working with get pulled forward in a weird shape. This happened out of nowhere, for no reason I could see.

Now, I'm 95% sure this has nothing to do with my meshes. They were working fine before. When I rezz them on the ground, they're also fine. So I think the problem might be the beta grid? Anyone knows what's happenening or offer any insight? This has been going on for 3 days now and I need to test meshes, but everything keeps being stretched.

Again, no idea if this is te beta grid or if it is really just my meshes, but I need to find a solution for why this is happening.

Thanks for all the input. ;)

if these are long strings that appear to stretch to the southwest corner of the region then you are probably seeing the bug that affects AMD graphics.

if you do have AMD graphics, update to the latest Catalyst which can partially or even totally fix the bug, depending on luck of the draw. some cards appear to be more "fixed" than others. http://support.amd.com/en-us/download

meanwhile, if you are not using advanced lighting in your graphics settings, turn the hardware skinning feature OFF on the preferences, graphics tab, under the advanced section. disabled hardware skinning should always prevent the glitch.

the driver update appears to take care of this glitch (usually) for the times when advanced lighting is on. (hardware skinning has to be on to allow advanced lighting.)

Here's a picture of what's happening:

Snapshot_002.png

I use NVIDIA. As soon as this started I went and updated my drives, but that didn't fix the problem. I also did a clean instal of the SL viewer, but still nothing.

Still have this problem.

Just tried another viewer: singularity. Didn't help.

So, I think we can rule out the viewer being the problem (although I could also try firefox, just to be sure). It's also not the mesh's fault, since I took the risk and uploaded the shirt to the main grid and it looks fine. So, it must be a problem with the grid itself, right?

If anyone has any info on this, please tell me.

When you ask a tech question include information about your computer and viewer. Get the info from the viewer's Help-About... and paste that into your post with your question. Help->About... provides all the version numbers we need.  To add your info to an existing question use OPTIONS->EDIT. It’s in the upper right of your post.

----

You have pretty well eliminated the viewer render engine as the problem.

The region servers in ADITI are often running different software than main grid. But, the regions have almost nothing to do with how things render. They tell the viewer what is there and what objects are made of, or said another way they hand out lists of UUID's. The viewer then gets the detailed information from the asset servers via UUID info. 

From what I know the asset servers for the main grid and beta grid are the same. However, the grids have different inventory systems. So, your list of things in inventory in the beta grid is mostly copied from the main grid's inventory system. As you upload to the beta grid the entries are placed into and update only in the beta grid's inventory system.

All this means you have uploaded different objects into the main and beta grid, at least as far as the SL system is concerned. This suggests a problem with the upload to the beta grid. This leaves the prossibility of a collada file problem, but if you used the same file for both uploads that is pretty much eliminated.

Since the assets all come from the same place, it is unliley the asset server has a problem. Corruption of the mesh during upload would be the more likely problem in my thinking. So, the beta grid has a UUID pointing to a problem mesh.

Double check that you only have weights assigned to no more than 4 bones. I underrstand adding weights for a fifth creates an undefined and sometimes unpredictable result.

Last week there was some mention of Monty Linden doing some work on Collada. Monty has been cleaning up the libraries used to build the viewer and I suspect parts of the server side. Those may be in QA  on the beta grid. So, check the server version where you are having problems and check that version's release notes. (My experience is they somethines do NOT keep the release notes as current as we may need. So, use some salt...) Then move around until you find a region with a different version running. Compare those to the working version in the main grid. You may get some clues or at least eliminate region software.

Try uploading the mesh with different viewers. I wasn't clear on whether you just used viewers to look at the previous upload or did a new upload. It may be a change in the viewer's collada upload not meshing with changes on the beta servers... 

Good luck...

I am not seeing any complaints about this in the forum... so keep watching. If no one else is complaining... that focuses it on yur object.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3640 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.