New TOS A Sad Farewell To Chosen Few and All Others

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3576 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I been in SL since 2007 and in all these years I never had to agree to the TOS in order to log into secondlife.com.

By forcing us to agree to the TOS to access secondlife.com this means wonderful people like Chosen Few and others who can not agree to the TOS because of legal obligations to their clients can no longer even participate in the Forums here.

It also means for those who can not or will not agree to the TOS can not access their Linden Dollars in their accounts.  This effectively means Linden Lab is holding accounts hostage because now you can't sell your Linden Dollars on the Exchange without first agreeing to the TOS.

It also means Premium Members can't change their payment info or stop being a Premium Member or change any information without agreeing to the TOS.  This means that those residents who are automatically being charged for Premium Member accounts by Credit Cards or Bank Accounts or PayPal Linden Lab will continue to be able to charge them almost indefinitely in some cases.

So in order to stop being a Premium Member if residents, who either can not or will not agree to the TOS, will have to contact their banks or other institutions and make changes there so the payment information on file with Linden Labs will no longer be accurate thus stopping Linden Lab from being able to collect payment.

Please Linden Lab I implore you go back to the having people agreeing to the TOS when they log into the Second Life Grid and not secondlife.com.

Perrie Juran wrote:

You could always cancel your account via E Mail or Snail Mail.

Good to know Perrie!

But you still can't access any Linden Dollars you many have or and real US dollars you have in your account without first agreeing to the TOS.

Cathy Foil wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

You could always cancel your account via E Mail or Snail Mail.

Good to know Perrie!

But you still can't access any Linden Dollars you many have or and real US dollars you have in your account without first agreeing to the TOS.

Actually I think that there is a way.  But I am not a Lawyer so I am going to keep my thoughts to myself here.  People just need to think it through.  But what I'm pretty sure that what I think is correct.

But I do need to correct one thing.  E Mail may not work: They would not be obligated to accept it.  But Fax or Snail Mail will.

I am a Lawyer and I didn't see any of that in there

Yes you have checked a New TOS, but I haven't seen it for a year, and that depends on you length of stay in here.

In case you are unaware, Linden Labs and whomever owns this place, it should be clear that you simply rent a space.  I remember a long time ago when active worlds went down, sold by excite.  Well, what ya going to do.  We all knew, or should have, when we joined this place, and spent money, it was never a thing that might last forever.  It will, as long as they can be profitable, they will continue.  Start causing panic, and they may go away.  Chill out, go to Applebees, have a nice dinner, and enjoy Real Life.  Tomorrow morning, it may be here, as it has been for me for 6 years, Then again it may change, I might guess you will live thru it.

If you don't then I hope your Avatar rests in peace

No one who didn't agree to the TOS will see your post.  A good thing because what you say isn't true, except that people who don't agree can use the SL websites.

First, LL can't hold your money hostage to a TOS change agreement. As Perrie said, LL can be contacted outside of SL or its websites to arrange to get your account downgraded or deleted and retrieve your money.

While it is a shame people such as Chosen Few can't help out answering questions on the forum anymore if they don't agree to the TOS, why should people in general who left SL by not agreeing to the TOS have access to websites intended for exclusively for residents?  Chosen hasn't posted to the forum since October anyway so no change there.  Actually a side effect may be to get rid of robo spamers - a good thing if it does.

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

No one who didn't agree to the TOS will see your post.  A good thing because what you say isn't true, except that people who don't agree can use the SL websites.

First, LL can't hold your money hostage to a TOS change agreement. As Perrie said, LL can be contacted outside of SL or its websites to arrange to get your account downgraded or deleted and retrieve your money.

While it is a shame people such as Chosen Few can't help out answering questions on the forum anymore if they don't agree to the TOS, why should people in general who left SL by not agreeing to the TOS have access to websites intended for exclusively for residents?  Chosen hasn't posted to the forum since October anyway so no change there.  Actually a side effect may be to get rid of robo spamers - a good thing if it does.

Actually you are wrong Amethyst.  You don't have to log into secondlife.com to read posts so you don't have to agree to the TOS to read them.  I know I tried it before I agreed to the TOS.

You have to agree to the TOS before you can access your account on secondlife.com or post to the forums.

Since you don't have to agree to the TOS to read the forums then it is quite clear that the forums are not intended for exclusive use of residents.

If you could provide links to where LL gives instructions on how to arrange to cancel your Premium Membership and or retrieve your money by email, fax, phone or regular mail please do so.  I think it would be very valuable information and much appreciated.

Kelleyandsusan Kormann wrote:

I am a Lawyer and I didn't see any of that in there

Yes you have checked a New TOS, but I haven't seen it for a year, and that depends on you length of stay in here.

In case you are unaware, Linden Labs and whomever owns this place, it should be clear that you simply rent a space.  I remember a long time ago when active worlds went down, sold by excite.  Well, what ya going to do.  We all knew, or should have, when we joined this place, and spent money, it was never a thing that might last forever.  It will, as long as they can be profitable, they will continue.  Start causing panic, and they may go away.  Chill out, go to Applebees, have a nice dinner, and enjoy Real Life.  Tomorrow morning, it may be here, as it has been for me for 6 years, Then again it may change, I might guess you will live thru it.

If you don't then I hope your Avatar rests in peace

Kelleyandsusan awesome a Lawyer perfect!

Please please Kelleyandsusan read section 2.3 and copy and paste it here with an explanation on how it limits LL from doing anything they want with "Users Content" from people who have agreed to the TOS.

I am not being sarcastic.  You are a lawyer and I am not.  The TOS is hard to read and understand for the layperson like myself.  When I read 2.3 what I get from it is if you agree to the TOS you give LL full rights to do whatever they want with content you create in or upload to SL.

Here is a link to the new TOS:

http://lindenlab.com/tos

I also don't understand what you meant by "depends on you length of stay in here".

Cathy Foil wrote:

You don't have to log into secondlife.com to read posts by going to so you don't have to agree to the TOS to read them.  I know I tried it before I agreed to the TOS.

Yes, that's true. Anybody can read the forums by going to http://community.secondlife.com/, no need to sign in for just reading the posts. No sign in - thus no 'agree to TOS' pop up.

However, when one wants to post or reply to post naturally one has to sign in. And then there is that TOS pop up:

"To continue logging in to Second Life, you must accept the Terms of Service.  Please read them carefully before continuing."

(Just clarifying so it's clear for all how stuff works...) :matte-motes-sunglasses-3:

My memory of this may be mistaken, but .. I logged in-world first, agreed to the TOS, and only just now logged into secondlife.com for the forum .. and did not get a TOS agreement screen. It seems like they have the logins tied in somehow, so that the first secondlife entity you log into is where you get the TOS screen. I'd have to check with an alt to be truly sure.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3576 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.