Can't login

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3704 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

39+ people viewed, yet no replies??? So nobody has a clue as to why I cannot login? I'm sure it's not gonna hurt to take time out of second life, to answer my question in first life.... If it's a simple thing like the server is down then by all means please tell me... I'm not trying to sound rude...

God knows I'm no techie, but I can ask some obvious questions.

I'll assume that your log-in information is correct, or you wouldn't have been able to log in here.

What viewer are you using? Have you updated it? There have been a number of changes to these over the past few years, and some (such as Kirsten's and Phoenix) have been deprecated.

Are you using wireless?

You're sure that the app isn't being held up by a firewall?

I think that the more detail you can provide, the better chance that someone who does know what they are talking about can help.

I downloaded Second Life, what in the world is a "viewer"???

As for my firewall that's not the issue, internet connection is also not an issue, PC is not an issue, as I've ran other games with better graphics at blazing speeds...

It's just telling me login in has failed...

-- I'm wireless but I don't see how that matters, as I'm really close to my router

It sounds like it is timing you out because it is taking a long time to make the connection with one of the servers at Linden Lab.

Second Life isn't like other games. There is much more information to transmit between the servers at Linden Lab and your computer. 

I don't have a gaming computer. I am in the UK, miles away from Linden Lab in San Francisco, and I'm not experiencing the same issue as you - why is that? 

A "viewer" is the "client"; the thing that you access Second Life the main world with.

The "viewer" is the programme through which you log in and experience Second Life; it functions in a similar manner to a browser for viewing the web. And like browsers, there are a number of choices as to which one can use. There is the "Official" SL viewer, which you download from the Second Life site, and there are third-party ones. It sounds as though you are using the official viewer, however, so that shouldn't be the problem.

Sometimes wireless can cause problems, regardless of the quality of the connection, because (as Marigold notes above) there is so much information being swapped back and forth.

Can you try connecting directly to the internet, rather than through wireless?

"login failed (Waiting for server response)"

... suggested that it had you waiting and was not instant. 

I guess the experts should be back from their lunch break by now and will come along and give you the proper advice.

I have to go and comb the hair that's standing up on the back of my neck back down. It might take a while.

MizzKittenzz wrote:

If my wireless were an issue it would probably time out and load slowly, instead it immediately tells me "login failed". It has nothing to do with my wireless as I have played other games and virtual worlds before.

No. Quite the opposite. More likely to be timed out slowly on a wired connection, but even if you sit one inch away from your router and are wireless, you cannot see any likely interference with your connection.

Give it a try... the wired option.

Oh, and before I go. What is different now to when you logged in the time before when you used to log into Second Life. Have you moved home?

Well im sorry you feel like im wasting your time... again its not my PC and its not my firewall, Im pretty sure I stated that in the first message and over and over again...

Anyway ima jet as I got better things to do, I feel like im just getting the run around, no help whatsoever, just the blame game...

Im pretty positive my 8gig ram pc with like 1tb drive can handle a game thats like 10 years old or whatever...

The PC I used to run the game on was a LOT worse than this, as the PC im using now is built for gaming at fast speeds...

I'm afraid that you've just about exhausted my technical expertise on this subject. I can give you some standard advice, but you may have to wait for someone with more knowledge in this than I.

1) Do try, if you can, running it directly through ethernet, rather than by wireless. 

2) Check your firewall settings and make sure it's not being blocked there. (It doesn't sound as though it is, but still . . .)

3) Perhaps try a clean re-install of the programme. In other words, uninstall, and then reinstall it from scratch.

Some people have an easier time on other viewers, such as Singularity, but that shouldn't be the issue here, and especially not if you are working on a very good computer.

Sorry! Wish I could be more help!

MizzKittenzz wrote:

Well im sorry you feel like im wasting your time... again its not my PC and its not my firewall, Im pretty sure I stated that in the first message and over and over again...

Anyway ima jet as I got better things to do, I feel like im just getting the run around, no help whatsoever, just the blame game...

Im pretty positive my 8gig ram pc with like 1tb drive can handle a game thats like 10 years old or whatever...

The PC I used to run the game on was a LOT worse than this, as the PC im using now is built for gaming at fast speeds...

Oh its never a waste of time while its fun.

Again, I'm not using a gaming computer, only have 3Gb of ram, 3 year old graphics card, and I can run Second Life without the problems you're having - why is that? 

The problem is your end. I am 99.9% sure of that.

Hey listen... My ram is 8g WAY more than yours, and I'm using 1terabyte hard drive, and my graphics card is like the best, so I'm 100% sure it's on their end... like I really don't appreciate the blame game or pointing fingers, then again it's to be expected, I sorta figured someone would blame my pc, firewall, wireless connection, something retarded like that... Like I said it's not my pc as its a gaming pc built the best! and my firewall was turned off so thats not an issue, and I already did a clean re-install, yada yada yada

MizzKittenzz wrote:

its ight, ima just uninstall the game and move on, good luck and thanks for trying to help I guess....

That's entirely your choice, but if you allow a simple game to defeat you, then you will come up against bigger challenges further along the way, and ones that may matter a lot more.

It is quite likely that other people will come along and offer advice, but sometimes it can take a while, depending who is online during that segment of the day and what else they become involved with. We are all just volunteers, just residents, just pooling what knowledge we have or have gained while residents of Second Life.

MizzKittenzz wrote:

As for my firewall that's not the issue, internet connection is also not an issue, PC is not an issue, as
I've ran other games with better graphics
at blazing speeds...

-- I'm wireless but I don't see how that matters, as I'm really close to my router

Knowledge Base article on Log In Failures:

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Login-failure/ta-p/700109

We are however curious, if you have never used SL, how you know that the Graphics in other games are better?

LaskyaClaren wrote:

Marigold Devin wrote:

I feel like the experts on the forum have set you and me up for an early April Fool's joke with this one. Or maybe its just another incarnation of Tolya :matte-motes-whistle:

Tolya would be funnier. :-)

I am certainly not getting the Tolya vibe - whereas with you, I get the S.R. vibe - the forums has been missing some of its bigger characters, the ones who were here, like you I suspect, long before me. :matte-motes-big-grin:

Marigold Devin wrote:

LaskyaClaren wrote:

Marigold Devin wrote:

I feel like the experts on the forum have set you and me up for an early April Fool's joke with this one. Or maybe its just another incarnation of Tolya :matte-motes-whistle:

I am certainly not getting the Tolya vibe - whereas with you, I get the S.R. vibe - the forums has been missing some of its bigger characters, the ones who were here, like you I suspect, long before me. :matte-motes-big-grin:

I heard she might be around again, a little. ;-)

You know what they say about dogs returning to their vo . . .

Actually, there has to be a prettier way of expressing that. Right? :-)

LaskyaClaren wrote:

Marigold Devin wrote:

LaskyaClaren wrote:

Marigold Devin wrote:

I heard she 
might
be around again, a little. ;-)

You know what they say about dogs returning to their vo . . .

Actually, there 
has
to be a prettier way of expressing that. Right? :-)

There has, yes. Nonetheless, I found myself LOLing in RL. :))

Perrie Juran wrote:

MizzKittenzz wrote:

As for my firewall that's not the issue, internet connection is also not an issue, PC is not an issue, as
I've ran other games with better graphics
at blazing speeds...

Knowledge Base article on Log In Failures:

We are however curious, if you have never used SL, how you know that the Graphics in other games are better?

The message that the OP reported -- ""login failed (Waiting for server response)" -- doesn't appear in that particular article, which may be out of date?

It sounds to me as though Marigold is right, and this isn't really a login problem, but rather a connection one?

The OP says, btw, that she first tried SL many years ago. Her suggestion that this is a "10 year old game" is accurate enough, I suppose, but obviously doesn't account for the degree to which it has changed.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3704 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.