Can't login

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3696 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Good morning...

I know I'm coming late to the party, but wanted to put in my two cents worth...which is probably worth much less than that.

1. Attitude?? You, my dear, started with the attitude...

MizzKittenzz wrote:

39+ people viewed, yet no replies??? So nobody has a clue as to why I cannot login? I'm sure it's not gonna hurt to take time out of second life, to answer my question in first life.... If it's a simple thing like the server is down then by all means please tell me... I'm not trying to sound rude...

well you are rude. As many have said, this is a forum of users who take time out to help others. Youi might consider thanking some of these people for their assistance. They could have just as easily ignored you longer.

2. Now, on to the problem at hand.

a. My first suggestion is that if you are a premium member, call LL directly. Ask them if they have any ideas on what would be causing this. They have a phone number somewhere on their page. I'm sure that someone here could pass that along.

b. Have you tried turning everything on and off again? I know it sounds stupid, but when I have connection problems or get funny error messages in SL, I unplug my modem and my router, turn off my computer and start again. Usually, that fixes it. I know it's cliche, but give it a shot.

Good luck....

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do appreciate the help... As I said over and over its not my connection I literally tried that already, I even restarted the pc, turned my firewall off and on, turned on admin rights, and ran the game in different modes, I tried it all.... I still believe the issue is not on my end... As for the premium membership that I don't have and probably at this point never will.

Thanks for the post, as I knew sl could play even on dial up which thus further proves my point that it's not my wireless connection, I'm like literally so close to my router. Most wireless connections should be faster then dial up, so I don't see how that's an issue and even if it were, the fact that I can surf the web, play other games, and be online in my car, should prove that it's not a connection issue. What it is, is that they lack the knowledge to help me so instead they call me rude or continue to say that I did not listen to their advice... In which case I did just to prove it's not on my end, I'm not stupid I've been using computers since I was 5... and my husband has a master's in IT and computers, etc.

I'm staying a looooong way away from this thread. :D

However, if you've "tried everything already", you won't mind posting an annotated and obfuscated Traceroute and a Speedtest to a server each in Dallas and Phoenix, right? Ideally a local network topology also. These would both help to demonstrate that helpers here aren't wasting their time and also potentially spot problems that you cannot without comparison or knowledge that you don't have about the rearend of Second Life.

You surely understand that it's not just your computer, but also your network link, latency and routing (local, national, possibly international) that makes a major difference to your SL performance. Second Life will draw as much bandwidth as 30+ browser instances at once - you can't simply compare it against 'other games' or web browsing, since few other platforms push your networking infrastructure as hard as SL will.

You do not need a premium membership to troubleshoot, just to call LL directly and troubleshoot. So don't worry about that bit. Most people don't have a premium account in sl.

I know you said you have tried everything so far, turned the pc off, etc.. Have you tried turning off your modem itself and restarting it? I did not see whether you had done this or not. I know you do not think it's a connection problem, but the error you are getting IS a connection problem. Whether its the inability to connect to whatever sim it is you're trying to log into, or sl in general, and whether the connection error is on your end or sl's end, is what you need to determine. That can be difficult to determine sometimes, even to the greatest of technological minds. It IS a connection error, that much I do know. (which is why it tells you it cannot connect).

I have had connection issues on my pc that I am using now which by all intents and purposes is not nearly as good as yours.  They are always fixed by a router restart, provided that sl itself is not having problems. IF it is sl that is having problems, it is usually listed on the grid status page, but if it is not(which, hey, happens with any system) you can go to the technical forums here and see people discussing it. If you do not see others there talking about it, it's not a widespread problem.  Of course that doesn't mean no one else has the problem, but not being widespread usually means the problem isn't starting at the same source for those experiencing it. Many can have a specific problem but the causes vary greatly.

Also, have you tried changing the sim you login to? Someone else provided those instructions in the thread, but I highly recommend this. I would try a sim like Pooley(you'll be underwater, fair warning). As it's quiet, but also stable.  If it has been a few years since you played, the sim you are trying to connect to may not even exist anymore, or may have moved. In which case, you'll also get an automatic connection error.  I don't know why it gives the exact same generic connection error in both situations, but it does. Actually just about every connection error comes with that same message you got. If it were your password and or username, it would actually tell you that(or should, it has in every instance when I've accidentally done this, for the last couple years, although it used to simply say it couldn't connect without saying why). I wish the error messages were more detailed, but sadly they are not.

Also have you tried a different viewer? I haven't seen you say whether or not you've tried that yet eiuther. I know everyone suggests that the official viewer, that is the one you download directly from the sl page, should not give errors....I have huge doubts about that. As I have seen it firsthand, and watched numerous people have issues with the official viewer, including connection errors that shouldn't exist, but do. Have you tried one of the other third party viewers? My recommendation is either Singularity (http://www.singularityviewer.org/) or Firestorm (http://www.firestormviewer.org/downloads/) as both are very popular and often solve the issues others have with the official viewer.  I myself struggle with the official viewer. I do not have the same issue of being unable to login, but that viewer crashes a lot for me, which is also a type of connection error. So I avoid it like the plague.

I know its frustrating, I believe everyone understands that. It can be a royal pain in the ass sometimes when you can't figure it out. I am not saying, by any means, it cannot possibly be on sl's end. I have only shared the knowledge I do have on what you can do on your end.  If nothing works, that you have tried thus far, you can put in a support ticket(I believe someone linked to t hat spot earlier in the thread) or go to the technical section of the forums and ask there.  You may find far more people with far more knowledge on troubleshooting there.

I hope the OP will take the time to thoroughly read your calm and patient post, and also to read carefully through the whole of this thread from start to finish, taking out the emotional aspect and try and be more objective.

It is very true that most of us have, at one time or another, suffered a similar frustration.  And more often than not it has been something very small that has been preventing us from doing what it is we've wanted to do.

I still maintain (as does my real life brother who I called in for back up on this one) that being next to the router, but still on wireless, will not guarantee a connection. 

Other things that can prevent connection to server - if all the other suggestions in this thread so far have been tried by the OP - are the fact that if there are many people sharing the same broadband service - especially wirelessly - there is a ton more traffic, a diluted broadband service, and a likelihood of more interference between the wireless device and the router.

To the OP, one final thing I would suggest - and I would not normally suggest this, but I feel you really need a brand new fresh start and an opportunity to get some brand new heads on your problem.... click on the "Answers" tab above and start a brand new thread there.  And please be polite. You will catch many more flies with honey than with vinegar.

Thanks for trying, I feel like you're sincerly trying to help me.

I did a full pc restart, I had done it prior as well, that was to no avail. I turned off my firewall, that was also not the issue. I made a whole other name to sign in with on Second Life, that also didn't work. Instead of using the SL Viewer, I started using the Firestorm one and it too says the same thing. I checked my wireless, it don't seem to be the issue, again I'm human I may be wrong but I did restart the router... Nothing yet, I guess I'm just aggravated, add that to being 6 months pregnant, so yea my attitude is just from life being tiresome...

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3363317591

I'ma try the Singularity Viewer now

Those are my results...

MizzKittenzz wrote:

Thanks for the post, as I knew sl could play even on dial up which thus further proves my point that it's not my wireless connection, I'm like literally so close to my router. Most wireless connections should be faster then dial up, so I don't see how that's an issue and even if it were, the fact that I can surf the web, play other games, and be online in my car, should prove that it's not a connection issue. What it is, is that they lack the knowledge to help me so instead they call me rude or continue to say that I did not listen to their advice... In which case I did just to prove it's not on my end, I'm not stupid I've been using computers since I was 5... and my husband has a master's in IT and computers, etc.

First off we are all just users here with varying degrees of exspertise.  When it comes to helping people we are just "volunteers."  So when we see a 'testy' message (your second post) it sometimes rankles us a bit. 

Second, when someone says to us "I know everything on my end is OK," actually we don't know that.  You may have the latest and greatest but that doesn't eliminate potential problems on your end.  A couple of months ago one ISP changed the data handling protocols in their Modems and it caused problems for SL.  (I didn't check at the time but I bet it caused some problems for some other services also).  Linden Lab had to write a work around for this.  There is no other ISP as far I know who does what this ISP did.  The only people who ever reported this problem were on this ISP.

Now, I have done some more research into this and this is what I have found out.  It is a very generic error message and may indicate a network breakdown.  Your Viewer log files may indicate where the problem is.  Here are the instructions on finding those files.  Personally reading those files is beyond my expertise.  But they may hold a clue to where or what the breakdown is.

MizzKittenzz wrote:

uhhhhhhhh.png

What Anti Virus are you using?  Taking a long shot here, but there has been a lot of trouble in the past with Norton generating false positives with SL and blocking necesary functions.

I could be barking up the wrong tree here but is worth asking.

For that error, try the suggestions here..

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Technical/SSL-peer-certificate-or-SSH-remote-key-message-keeps-me-from/qaq-p/2483725

It is likely your anti-virus, possibly firewall(although I know you said you already checked firewall). Both av software and firewalls cause that and I don't know of anything else that causes that specific error.

MizzKittenzz wrote:

Hmm I turned off my firewall again, and I'm not using/running any anti-virus... it's just utterly strange, I keep trying all the work arounds but to no avail...

Just a thought...does your router/modem have a firewall that you are unaware of? You might want to check and see if that might be the cause of it.

Based on the screen image you posted it looks like the SLPlugin.exe program is not being allowed to launch automatically. Check to make sure that your firewall software on your PC has an exception [from scanning] to the SecondLife program directory. Additionally, explicitly add the individual programs to a program exception list of your firewall software has this feature.

Well I tried everything and nothing worked... so I went to go use the facilities, came back and it let me in... I did nothing and it actually let me in... :o

Thanks for trying to help everyone, it apears it was on their end possibly?... It's working now and I didn't really do anything as nothing I did do worked prior.

MizzKittenzz wrote:

Well I tried everything and nothing worked... so I went to go use the facilities, came back and it let me in... I did nothing and it actually let me in...
:o

Thanks for trying to help everyone, it apears it was on their end possibly?... It's working now and I didn't really do anything as nothing I did do worked prior.

YAY!!!!!!!!!!

Welcome (back) to Second LIfe!!!! :)

MizzKittenzz wrote:

Well I tried everything and nothing worked... so I went to go use the facilities, came back and it let me in... I did nothing and it actually let me in...

Don't discount the possibility that the commode flush lever is, for reasons we may never comprehend, the missing piece of this puzzle.

It would be so cool to witness the birth of a cargo cult!

MizzKittenzz wrote:

Yayyyyy

They have been doing rolling restarts today so it is possible that by some fluke of nature some thing Server Side that was affecting you got "fixed."

This is such a rare thing.  I counted six times this particular error has ever been asked about in this Forum and in none of those instances did I see any one report back their problem was fixed and / or any other information.

Perrie Juran wrote:

MizzKittenzz wrote:

Yayyyyy

They have been doing rolling restarts today so it is possible that by some fluke of nature some thing Server Side that was affecting you got "fixed."

This is such a rare thing.  I counted six times this particular error has ever been asked about in this Forum and in none of those instances did I see any one report back their problem was fixed and / or any other information.

Oooh, the plot thickens. What if those six people discovered the commode flush lever connection, and were silenced before they could reveal it?

Watch your back, MizzKIttenzz!

What is wrong with you? I really didn't see the problem. Also to clarify, it doesn't matter if you have a 100,000 computer, if your computer can't connect to secondlife servers, you won't be able to play. Second life isn't a game, tbh. I'm saying that because with games you can just open them and wait for them to load and play, even without internet most of the time.

I've never gotten this exact message but similar messages.

-Check your windows firewall if you're using a windows computer. Check your antivirus.

-Unplug your router for a minute, or reset it and turn it back on.

-Change viewers. (clients, for example: the official secondlife viewer that can be downloaded via the website.)

-Try a wired connection.

-Try it at another location. (EX: A friends house. If it works there, it's definitely a problem on your end.)

-Let the problem die out, usually secondlife problems just die out. I used to have a non-stopping clouding problem, it eventually just died out.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3696 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.