Eyes on smile animation, still wishing for a fix

Romaq Rosher

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3751 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

http://forums-archive.secondlife.com/327/1b/258180/1.html shows how far back this goes, and of course you can 'open the eyes, force smile, take picture' so your static images don't look so ugly when you want to smile...

But on using a 'smile script' product, eyes still close, smile still looks creepy.

Was this ever put on the 'bug' list? Is there a correction to this travesty in the huge stack of things to fix on making support for new mesh bones? Anything new on this issue and I simply missed finding it?

I would love to have my avatar smile, but *not* with the eyes nearly closed. Who cooked up that much eye closure on that animation? And has this person long left Linden Labs?

As you know, facial expressions are all built in animations that can't be modified or added to by animators.  The facial expressions have been around since SL time began. 

LL is apparently working on avatar improvements as a project but they aren't saying much about it yet or giving out specific information other than the first thing they are doing is adding more rigging bones to make fitted mesh possible.  I know there has been a request to add finger bones so the hands could be animated more realistically but haven't heard anything about facial expressions.  I imagine it is of lower priority than other issues that need to be addressed, such as some problem areas on the avatar mesh that go weird in some positions.

• Like 1

Animators would know why they do that, because people DO smile using thier eyes as much as mouth, the eyes are so important though that if they mess it up they get the response similar to yours lol. Eyes to squint or change when people really truuly smile, photographers know as well I guess. But, really strange stuff in the SL av because it looks like it is a bit evil or sarcastic and mean, depending on the av shape and my mood lol.

Romaq Rosher wrote:

Yeah, I wouldn't mind a slider for backing it off to some degree. I do realize a genuine smile does close the eyes, but not... like that. Not so much. That degree is just plain evil and looks hideous.

I would say it looks more like you're stoned rather than evil.  But yeah, it's pretty bad.

...Dres

The truth is that many of the built in facial expression morphs are exaggerated and overdone. It would be nice if there were a way in the software (viewer) to specify the strength with which they are applied. But I don't what would be involved with scaling the effect of animations and morphs, or if it's even possible at this point.

"Stone" Yup.... EVERYBODY must get stoned!

"Slider to scale effect" Yup... if only. Though I think I'd rather have LL working on "Avatar 2" support and build the *NEW* Avatar, one more like http://www.makehuman.org/ and less like the one described on 

AND while they are at it, they can put a 'look at me I'm not so stoned' controller in the new avatar. I mean, I can dream, right?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3751 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.