firestorm wont open and I get a message saying my graphics card driver is out of date.

WarriorDroth

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2908 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

so i have not been able to log into sl for a while now through firestorm because it crashes then gives me a message saying something about my graphics card being out of date or some crap. i have uninstalled it multiple times and reinstalled it only to get the same result everytime... does anyone know how to fix this.

im running a sony vaio s model laptop

windows 10

4gigs of ram

and i believe the graphis is an integrated intel amd 7400M series

7 answers to this question

I don't know much about non-Nvidia graphic processing units but a bit of online research suggests to me that the AMD Radeon is a very low-spec gpu, designed for browsing the web, reading emails, watching videos and the like, and completely unsuitable for an application like SL, which is very demanding of graphics cards. 

I've just been looking, for example, at this comparision with the Nvidia 820M.   I'd be astonished if anyone could get SL to run on the Nvidia 820, and you'll see from the comparison that the Nvidia gpu is considerably more powerful than the 7400M.

So I think the error 

"Second life is unable to run because your video card drivers did not install properly, are not up to date, or are for unsupported hardware. Please make sure you have the latest video card drivers and even if you do, try reinstalling them.

if you continue to get this message, contact customer service."

means, in your case, that the hardware (i.e. the gpu) isn't supported -- that is, it's incapable of running SL, which requires a far more powerful GPU.

• Like 1

You are probably half right to the overall issue. My computer is 5 years old which in terms of technology makes it like 150 years old with geriatric and needing life support lol. I think I managed to solve that problem now that as I get a new message dynamic link library (DLL) intialization routine failed or something like that. I tried a few solutions I found on the web and it did nothing. Not sure what to do for this and it's becoming extremely irritating.

I think you're going to have real problems. Even if you can get SL to run on your machine (which I very much doubt is possible) it's going to be painfully slow, the graphics will be really low quality, and your GPU will burn out very soon if you use SL regularly.

You're going to have to bite the bullet and replace your machine, I think, and sooner rather than later. There's a discussion going on over in SL Universe at the moment called "Help! Ultraportable that will run SL?" that might provide some suggestions. I won't post a link because the Forum's anti-spam filters don't like SLU for some reason, but you should find it easily enough with Google.

One suggestion there, which you might consider, is getting an Android tablet and using the Lumiya viewer. It's not as good as a fully-featured viewer -- you can't build with it, for example -- but if you just want to come into SL for an hour or so and hang out with friends or explore a bit, it's perfectly satisfactory. I have it on my tablet and use it when I'm travelling.

Otherwise, if you want a full laptop on which you can run SL, I'm afraid you're going to have to pay attention to how powerful the GPU and the CPU are. I'd be looking at units that are advertised as "gaming laptops". SL is a very demanding application.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2908 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.