When is it safe to say i can write code?

steph Arnott

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3838 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

What's the bench mark?

ADDED: LOL Freya

ADDED: A male friend came last night with his game console and challenged me to a car race. I lost, could not get around the track without crashing. He said girls are useless a driving. Odd thing is I had to drive him home as he can not drive in RL. 

ADDED: All woderfull people.All mad of course.

3 answers to this question

You can write code when you can get something to work.  Once is enough :-)

It is safe to say you can write code if you get stuck and can understand the answers other people give to fix it.

You can consider yourself comfortable with (LSL) code if you get stuck and can solve your problem by reading the wiki.

You can consider yourself an experienced coder if you can read the (equivalent of) the wiki for another programing language and write something that works using that.

It is safe to say you are an expert coder when your programs work better than other peoples' and they ask your advice.

And you should still expect to fail even in the simplest programing task.  If it works first time the bugs are just better hidden.

[Repeat for each new language.

Take 1 step backwards for every month without practicing - in each language

Restart for all languages every 2 years because the paradigms will change (eg; batch/interactive, command-line/GUI, menu/event driven, data/object oriented)]

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3838 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.