What should I set my bandwidth to?

LiquidZod

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3004 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

LiquidZod wrote:

My wireless internet has a download speed of 53.81 and upload speed of 62.89. Took this on speedtest.com. Ping was 11ms and server NY. 

That is to your local server.. you need to run a speedtest to this location.. http://tucson.speedtest.net/

that will give you accurate numbers for Second Life.. Aside from that, never set wireless to more than 500.

The viewers bandwidth setting only affects the UDP protocol channel.

More and more of the communications between server and client are moving to HTTP protocol. So, this setting has less and less meaning and affect.

The old rule of thumb is to set it at 80% of max bandwidth measured with SpeedTest.net or other service. But, not to exceed 1,500kbps. The server limits your max spped when you have a fast connection.

Wireless is becoming less of a factor as access points are getting better. If your using an N protocol on your connection and 5gb channel, it is almost as good as wired.

Test your connection to servers near the SL servers. Find an IP address in the viewers HELP->About.... You can geo locate the IP or just use the IP address with SpeedTest.net.

Now that SL is using CDN you will be downloading assets from relay servers near you. This complicates figuring out what will work best. Test and test some more to find out what settings work best for you and your location.

• 1 month later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3004 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.